Interpolation using PLC

A

Anil HP

This is for my knowledge and also application.
I like to make a simple automation to Lath machine. I like to control two axes with Stepper motor or DC mortor or Induction motor simaltaneously. This is to cut the job in a circular pattern. Is it possible. I think it is possible using stepper motor, with some calculation. is it possible with dc motor contorl using an encoder feed back.
Help me friends.

R

Rivas, Marco

Dear Anil;
I have the same interest in using PLC instead of CNC...I had interest in using SLC 5 from Allen Bradley. Since I wanted to use different DXFs to
generate profiles...PLC is not practical.

There is a low cost product from TrioMotion less than 700 USD to 2 axis, it accepts a BASIC like programming and you can export DXF files to this
controller.

By using PLC you don't have the flexibity to export DXF (as most of CNC systems), you will have to recode your program every time you need a
different profile.

Another solution is to use Master5, with this windows software ...a PC is transformed in a CNC machine, you need to connect drives (Step/Direction) to the parallel port to drives your step motors.

If you are Linux user...there is a software freeware EMC Enhanced Machine Controller from NIST National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Good Luck, if you have another ideas to share send an email
[email protected]

G

Greg Nichols

My choice would be to use A-B Control-Logix. I have applications running using dynamically calculated (on-the-fly) cam profiles and various forms of gearing to achieve virtually interpolated motion. The results are as accurate as the best CNC controllers, though the motion programming to accept various complex profiles could be quite grueling. It's a good challenge, and quite possible, as I have done it for enough cases to prove that a generic solution is possible.

Good luck!!

The EMC software can do exactly the type of motion control for machine tools that you are talking about. It does use Linux and some real time extensions. For more info about that you could see "www.linuxcnc.org":http://www.linuxcnc.org .

The EMC software itself resides in a repository on SourceForge. Most of it is public domain and if you just want C and C++ code for parport steppers you could use some of the files in the emc/src/emcmot directory.

Hope this helps

Ray Henry

R

Rivas, Marco

Hi Greg;
Could you please give us more details about the cards you use, main steps to address interpolation (if not embedded in cards)?
Regards

T
If it's the equations that must be solved that you are looking for, go back to the Control.com home page, select the BULL! luminary and read the "Command Generation" article.

Tom Bullock