Interview Questions

A

Amit Darwhekar

I have interview scheduled for the PLC programmer's position by one of the companies that manufactures control panels. Even though I have profound knowledge of PLC programming (performed variety of academic projects using PLC programming), I do not have work experience in PLC programming. Therefore, what type questions should I expect in the interview?

B

Bob Peterson

Everyone and every company seems to have a different idea about interviewing prospective employees.

I would suggest not trying to impress them a whole lot with your profound knowledge of PLC programming. There is a huge difference between being able to complete small assignments as homework and getting a PLC program working out on the floor at 2:00 A.M.

Answer honestly, and don't lie or misrepresent your actual knowledge and skill level. Trust me on this, it is a lot lower than you think it is and
they will know that. If they are interviewing a recent grad, they know you would be basically coming in as a trainee.

That does not mean you shouldn't point out your good points, but try and restrian yourself from making claims that they won't beleive and will take away from your credibility.

D

DAVE FERGUSON

I have been doing this for a long time. I have 1-2 Engineering Interns each year working for me. I maintain regular contact with all of them, they all have great jobs. I also have 2 sons in college as Engineering Students. One is a Senior in Electrical and one is a Junior in Mechanical. One is a 3.9 student and the other 3.5. They have been doing Automation programming PLCs and DCS, HMI for a few years. I tell all of them that their coursework has only scratched the surface and showed them how to solve problems.

Do not try to impress at an interview. Show your knowledge of the terminology but trust me, you do not even know what you do not even know at this point. Noone expects you to be a master PLC programmer at this point. Show them your willingness to learn and solve problems and ability to find information.

You best skill will be being humble, your best teachers will be plant floor Electricians and Instrument people and Operators. The ability to understand Process far outweighs being an expert
in one technology or another. If all of your skills are with Allen Bradley PLC's and they have Modicon your showing them all your "skills" in one will not impress on the other.

If you come into an interview waving your big 4 year degree and thinking that you know more than all of them, you will quickly fail miserably. Explain how you can solve a problem, learn quickly, are passionate about what you are doing, understand that you have a long way to go, have succeeded in the past when facing adversity, etc.

You will be fine, but remember you are about 3 steps into a 1,000,000 step journey even though it feels like you have really been walking for a long time.

Dave

1 a: having intellectual depth and insight. b: difficult to fathom or understand
Courtesy of Merriam Webster.

Mr. Peterson had some very good points. He also was very nice in trying to say this.

Your PROFOUND knowledge from school, usually has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to troubleshoot, design, and/or repair equipment that you have not EVER operated or witnessed the operation/failure of.

Listen to Mr. Peterson. Learn to be humble. Do not try to impress them with your obvious superior intellect.

To Know Everything, one must learn that one DOES NOT.

I apologize that I am not as eloquent.

R
I 100% endorse what Dave says. I had an experience that may be of interest:
My first job was with a large OEM that made furnaces. I was fresh out of college with a BSEE degree and I interviewed fairly well. I was slated to work for a number of different departments for about 18 months before settling in to a long time position with about 3 mo. in each group.

The first guy I worked for had had difficulties finding someone who "fit in" with his group who designed mill equipment for steel and aluminum mills. In the last year he had 3 recent grads who all didn't make the grade. The common thread was that they wanted to do too much new "stuff" and didn't listen to the old timers who had years of experience. He quickly gave up and a new person was put in that position.

I came along and it appeared that I would be just another in the line, however, I did only one thing different: I figured out that it was his neck on the chopping block, not mine for a design failure. Once I realized that and did what he wanted for a few weeks, he started to ask what I thought might be a good method to solve a problem. He didn't always go with my suggestion but I had my say.

He grew confident that I would work as he directed and gave me more responsibility. My 3 months with him was extended once then again and by the end of the first year any ideas of learning the many departments was long gone. HR was so happy that I filled that need they had no objection and I ended up staying for 12 years, learning so much along the way. I didn't get the broad experience the company initially planned, but I was so much in demand that there was never a chance that I would run out of work. In fact, I left only when it was obvious that I was boxed into a position that had no advancement but great security; security just wasn't enough so I moved on.

Try to be a sponge and soak up everything you can and don't let the lack of a degree discount someone who has knowledge you can use. I learned more from a 8th grade level educated plant operator than I often learned from the pH. D. who designed the process!

Good luck,
Russ Kinner
SSOE, Inc.
Phoenix, AZ USA