Intrinsically safe terminals

I

ian

I have always known that intrinsically safe terminals in a panel should be blue. Is it necessary to have blue terminals in junction boxes in the field as well?

R
I don't think it's mandatory to have blue terminals. The chances are, though, the whole junction box will be IS because you are not allowed to mix IS and non-IS wiring in the same wire duct (home run cable). You should identify the box as Intrinsically Safe.

Roy

B

Bruce Durdle

The requirement is to clearly identify IS circuits and elements of circuits. This is commonly done by using blue as an identifying colour - but I am unaware of any mandatory requirements to use blue - it's more of a convention. In a JB it is probably more important to have a prominent label on the outside stating that "This Junction Box contains Intrinsically Safe Circuits." Unless the box contains a mixture of IS and non-IS circuits - not a good idea but not forbidden either, as long as there is adequate separation between the IS and non-IS stuff. Similarly in a panel it is more important to make sure that the trunking to be used for IS protected wiring is clearly defined.

Bruce

S

Subramaniam Janakiraman

Please note that the requirement of light blue colored terminals at the field JB and the cable outer sheath is from ISA RP 12.6/NEC 504.

S

Subramaniam Janakiraman

ISA RP 12.6/NEC 504 calls for light blue colored terminals at the field JBs for IS circuits as well as blue colored outer sheather for all the IS signal cables.