Intruder/Presence Sensor

R

Rich Koziol

Greetings,

Some mentioned that there are laser based sensors that detect a person entering an area. I'd be interested in using something like that to set off an alarm to remind the operator that it's not safe.

I'm aware of the normal light beam sensors, but in this case a laser was mentiond in particular.

Regards,

Rich Koziol

R

Ramer-1, Carl

One of my specialty focus areas is security systems, including intrusion detection sensors. The term "laser" may be used by some vendors to represent an invisible LED beam. Those are the newer active infrared devices, also known as electro-optical beams. They generally work best where the "intruder" is channeled between the transmitter and receiver.

A more practical solution is the passive infrared (PIR) type, if the environment is within their operating parameters. PIR's only need power to one location, and don't transmit any signals which might interfere with other systems. Really good ones that work outdoors are around US $100
while indoor models are cheaper.

Contact me off list for specific details and vendors. (No, I'm not in sales).

Carl Ramer, System Design Engineer
Controls & Protective Systems Design
Space Gateway Support
Kennedy Space Center, Florida

Professional opinion only, not product endorsement by the company or government.

M

Michael Griffin

Sick sells a laser based safety rated area sensor. I think it is intended for uses such as guarding robots.

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]

R
Rich:
I believe what you are looking for is an area guarding proximity laser scanner. Such devices are manufactured by Sick Optics (www.sickoptic.com) and others. The unit Sick offers is called a PLS (Proximity Laser Scanner) which is a single-point safety sensor for area guarding in stationary and mobile applications.
The unit can be programmed to match its protective field to an irregularly shaped area, up to 180 degrees of field. Be prepared for a sticker shock, though, as it is listed as a safety device and rated to detect objects down to 1.8% reflectivity.

Regards,
Rob Manion

--
Robert A. (Rob) Manion {[email protected]}
Engineering Manager - Control Systems
EMTROL Inc. - Industrial Automation

this has peaked my interest a james bond style intrusion alarm! can it see thru fog at 100 ft? disciminate between the elements and and a racoon or human or vehicle? is it visable to to human eye?

Carl wrote:
> One of my specialty focus areas is security systems, including intrusion detection sensors. The term "laser" may be used by some vendors to represent an invisible LED beam. Those are the newer active infrared devices, also known as electro-optical beams. They generally work best where the "intruder" is channeled between the transmitter and receiver.

A more practical solution is the passive infrared (PIR) type, if the environment is within their operating parameters. PIR's only need power to one location, and don't transmit any signals which might interfere with other systems. Really good ones that work outdoors are around US $100
while indoor models are cheaper.

Contact me off list for specific details and vendors. (No, I'm not in sales).

Carl Ramer, System Design Engineer
Controls & Protective Systems Design
Space Gateway Support
Kennedy Space Center, Florida

Professional opinion only, not product endorsement by the company or government.