Inverter autotuning procedures

• Thread starter Moschetti Pierluigi
  • Start date
M

Moschetti Pierluigi

I have an asyncronous motor driven by an inverter and I would like to use the "Vector Control" mode. Reading the manual of the Inverter, it is strongly suggested to let the inverter calculate the correct motor parameters through the Autotuning procedure (V/f rated frequency, Slip compensation, Motor stator resistance, Motor
stator inductance): therefore I try to use it but the procedure fails, even if the size of the motor matches the power output of the inverter (and that is recommended by the manifacturer). As a consequence I have decided to input the motor data manually. However I would like to know something more about autotuning procedures and accordingly about the reasons why autotuning procedures may fail.

Thank you in advance!

Pierluigi Moschetti

D

Davis Gentry

A couple of quick ones that come to mind - maybe the PID parameters that the inverter uses to drive the motor are set by default too low to actually move the load, which would cause tuning
to fail. Another possibility is that the motors and/or drives are sized too small for the load. Maybe at least for the conversion from static condition to motion of the load.

Davis Gentry
Applications Engineer
Delta Tau Data Systems

R

Richard Bartrug

It would help to know what inverter and what motor you are using.

That aside, most inverters use parameters for a "standard load" to perform the auto-tune routine. After 12 years in the business, I have yet to see a standard load. Many inverters will allow you to adjust these settings, although the method may not be obvious. Some, however, do not and you must resort to manual tuning.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but as I said, knowing what you are using would help.

Richard Bartrug
Motion Control Technician
ICR, Inc.
http://www.icr-inc.net

J
> It would help to know what inverter and what motor you are using.

That aside, most inverters use parameters for a "standard load" to perform the auto-tune routine. After 12 years in the business, I have yet to see a standard load. Many inverters will allow you to adjust these settings, although the method may not be obvious. Some, however, do not and you must resort to manual tuning.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but as I said, knowing what you are using would help.

http://www.magneticchuckservices.com/