IP Ratings

M

Mitch Carr

Pardon my dusty brain but I am trying to recall the meanings of the IP ratings for particles and water ingress. From what I can remember, the first digit relates to dust and impact resistance and the second is water. As in:

IP-xy

x=5 nominal impact and resistant to dust and other particles
x=6 heavy impact from solid objects

y=4 rainwater protection
y=5 garden hose protection
y-6 fire hose protection

Is this near to right or is there a better description.

Thanks,
Mitch

D. Mitchell Carr
703-430-9739
[email protected]

"The future is here; it just isn't widely available"

E
Mitch,

1st number is protection against solids:

0 NO PROTECTION
1 OBJECTS>50MM
2 OBJECTS>12MM
3 OBJECTS>2.5MM
4 OBJECTS>1.0MM
5 DUST PROTECTED
6 DUST TIGHT

2nd number is protection against liquids:

0 NO PROTECTION
1 VERTICALLY DRIPPING WATER
2 ANGLED DRIPPING WATER (25-90DEG C)
3 SPRAYED WATER
4 SPASHED WATER
5 WATER JETS
6 HEAVY SEAS
7 IMMERSION
8 INDEFINITE IMMERSION

3rd number is protection against impact:

Let me know if you need these also.

Ed

B

Bruce Durdle

Mitch,

The first digit refers rather to the physical size of things that can get into the enclosure - 1 is 50 mm (think hands); 2 is 12 mm (fingers); 3 2.5 mm (screwdrivers); 4 1 mm (wires); 5 is dusts in quantity; and 6 is dusttight.
The second digit is water - 1-3 covers water falling at various angles from vertical to 60 deg, 4 is water splashed from all directions; 5 is a jet of water, 6 is brief flooding; 7 is temporary immersion and 8 is permanent immersion (needs an associated pressure to be quoted).

There is also a 3rd digit sometimes used for impact - I've got no info on that.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Mitch, you're *almost* right. Actually, the first digit only refers to approximately to dust protection and the second to water ingress protection, the first digit goes up to 6 and the second one to 8 (7 and 8 are protection against different depths of water submersion!). For impact there is the IK that also has two digits and goes up to IK20, which is an impact of 10J, I believe. If you want the exact list send me an e-mail to: [email protected] and i'll try to type you the list, i have it somewhere on a cabinet catalog.
Regards, André

Hi,

IP ratings, in my field it's easiest to get the schneider(hopely spelt right) catalogue, rip the IP page out and stick it to the wall so the whole engineering team can better understand IP ratings in general.

Hopefully Helpful,
Jas