Is it suitable to use softstarters in high speed mixer?

M

Mehmet DOGAN

I have plan to use softstarter in double speed (low-high, dahlender) mixer, Mixer specifications:

37kw for low speed
52kw for high speed

What should be the size of softstarter? (as KW) and
should I use softstarter for this application?

also is there a link or explanation related to the advantes/disadvantages of softstarters?

Thanks for your concern.

Softstarters are acceptable for applications such as this. The sizing of the softstarter is dependent on how the mixer is going to be used. For greatest flexibility the motor should be 52kW rated. In this case the softstarter can start the motor in either high or low speed. If the application will allow for low speed starting only then the softstarter can be sized for 37kW. It is possible to set your control logic so that the softstarter always starts the motor in the low speed and then switches to high speed dependent on the desired speed. This has the advantage of only needing a 37kW rated softstarter and still have a great deal of flexibility but it is slightly more complicated to wire. (use a small PLC for best results)

In any case you still ,of course, need the contactors to transition to the correct winding configuration but this is a rather simple matter.

Hope this helps

For this size of motor, I believe you will be able to find an AC drive for the same or less cost as a soft starter.

AC drive would provide many performance and functional advantages. Also, if you select a drive that provides flux optimization, you will save money on your electric bill.

In either case, you select the needed device based upon the current requirements of the motor. Its as simple as that.

Mixers require a high starting torque, I would use an AC drive instead. Plus by changing the speed once the mixer gets going you might be able to make some process or efficiency improvment.