Is there a hot area in controls?

A

Anonymous

Please let me know if there is some
topic in Automation that would be worth while
studying (prospective thema) for a Phd?
( robust control, predictive multivariable control are already well investigated)

When is automation going to enter a gold period as IT and CT are having for the past few years?

Perhaps no significant

D
Good morning (afternoon/evening),
A topic that I have been doing some study on recently is particle counting. This field is still a theortical instrumentation field, but it has the potential to become one of the most important measurements in water management. Currently it is being used to monitor system intergrity, but not with the reliability that most instrument technicians would like to see.

Hope this helps, if you do have any questions, drop me a line.

Dan

S

Shahid Bashir ( U of Toronto)

> Devices don't talk to each other well, especially proprietary devices.

> [email protected]

I think the most advanced technologies available now a days are in networks and communication. The only reason why devices cannot communicate properly is obviously becuase of proprietary devices (and may be becuase the giants dont want to see devices of the competitors in the same control room).

In this situation, a solution involving a middleware architecture will be very helpful. This middle ware arhitecture should be able to understand different standards of data handling by different manufacturers. The solution probably should involve both networking hardware and software for translation of data and easy configuration.

C

Curt Wuollet

I agree, and this would be an excellent interim role for MAT/LPLC. This, in fact, is the reason that we have strived to maintain strict
independence. It's not very difficult to see the LPLC in this role as a solution that could add great capability at low cost and provide the solution to many problems, both political and physical, that the present balkanization only exacerbates.

Regards

cww

C

Curt Wuollet

I agree, and this would be an excellent interim role for MAT/LPLC. This, in fact, is the reason that we have strived to maintain strict
independence. It's not very difficult to see the LPLC in this role as a solution that could add great capability at low cost and provide the solution to many problems, both political and physical, that the present balkanization only exacerbates.

Regards

cww