Is this pressure transmitter suitable for this process?

S

shady abdelmoneim

I am a Junior instrumentation engineer and have a little problem...
I want to install a pressure transmitter to measure steam pressure with temperature around 470 C , but the pressure transmitter specification says that its working temperature is up to 121 C only... so , is this transmitter suitable for this process ? i think that's no... and if it is suitable, are there any remarks i have to use to install this transmitter successfully for this process?

B

Bruce Thompson

In all likelihood you are working at a facility that already uses pressure transmitters in relatively high temperature environments. A junior engineer isn't going to be asked to design and commission a new facility and process.

Take a look at your companies different applications and processes and learn from them.

1) Notice that the pressure transmitters are located above the process - so that gravity can move condensate away from the transmitter.

2) Notice also that there is long stainless steel tubing between the process and the transmitter. The length of tubing allows the temperature within the tubing to decrease the further it is from the process. This permits you to attach a pressure transmitter on a high temperature process, even if the transmitter cannot tolerate a high temperature. (The generally accepted length of tubing is ~ 1ft for every 100 degF.)

3) Take this as an opportunity to learn. Junior Instrumentation Engineers aren't expected to know everything, but they are expected to search and research for the answers.

4) Take a little more time to search out and validate the responses I've provided you, then provide us a report back on what you've learned.

My dear Moniem,

You can use this transmitter by installing transmitter via a condensate line. Install a Condensation pot (a pipe piece of 3inch diameter and 2 ft length of proper pressure rating) and connect your process tube in it. connect the transmitter at other end via tubing. Fill it up with water.

This will allow steam condensate to condense and hence higher temperature will be avoided.

if steam you locate the transmitter below the process connection, when it fills up with condensate, a few feet of liquid filled tubing and the temperature is at ambient and you only need to worry about freeze protection,

with dry gasses, locate the transmitter above the process connection, to insure drainage a few feet of dead end tubing insures the temperature is at ambient temperature.

with condensible vapors present and the transmitter located remotely, the installation requires more careful installation design,

direct connection of the transmitter to a hot process will smoke the transmitter as your concern suggests