JAVA as applied to Real Time Environment

R

RTAP, A'bad

Dear List Members,

I am an Engineer working in DCS configuration, Mimic Design, interlock programming field. I am rather a student for JAVA technology. Will anyone please make me familiar about the scope of JAVA as applied to Real Time Environment?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Manoj Patil.
Real Time Automation Products (P) Ltd.
India.

M

Matthew da Silva

Manoj,
Java is not as fast as ActiveX and therefore we consider it inappropriate for real-time control. Also, its structure makes it unable to support a high level of exclusiveness in the object that is updated. With ActiveX, it is possible to update only the dynamic value.

Speed is problematic. ActiveX is significantly faster, but the update speed would be dependent on the types of loops and the severity of control you wish to achieve.

Regards,
Matthew da Silva
Yamatake Corporation
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.webadapter.com/

F

Fred A. Putnam

Isn't this a common misconception? Java was originally developed as a threaded language. This was slower, but today aren't compilers for Java that make as fast as C?

Also, I don't understand why Java is compared to ActiveX here. Java is a language like C, C++, etc. ActiveX is a ... well it's a bit hard to
define what it is, but it's not a language in the sense of Java and C++.

Fred 6/27

Matthew da Silva wrote:

> Java is not as fast as ActiveX and therefore we consider it inappropriate for real-time control.<

--
Fred A. Putnam
LABTECH, Suite B09, 2 Dundee Park, Andover, MA, 01810
tel:978-470-0099 x231 cell phone:978-375-3115 FAX:978-470-3338
pager: e-mail page message to [email protected]
e-mail: [email protected] web: labtech.com