JBUS Bluetooth Device

C

Chuck McDonough

My company writes smartphone apps. One of our apps needs to know definitively if a vehicle is in motion. We use gps and the accelerometer right now, but we'd rather get it right from the vehicle because it should be more accurate and will open up new opportunities to create value. I have found and acquired devices for cars, but I can't seem to find anything for trucks and I have a request from a company with 20,000 trucks. I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction

Hi Sir:

This is a fleet management solution. We have experienced the field for many years. Usually the GPS is enough for the solution. What is the value you need? and Can you state more detail about "IT SHOULD BE MORE ACCURATE"?

L

Lynn August Linse

Modbus won't help you - this is an old post so I assume Chuck has moved on.

Talking to a 'vehicle bus' (such as J1939 or J1708) is generally not a cheap solution - I'd ballpark at some $300+ box will be required. Will the output be BlueTooth? I suppose someone makes those.

The GPS in a smart-phone is probably not as accurate as a true GPS receiver as they tend to have very poor antenna & rely very heavily on local cell towers to 'assist', which is why your smart-phone 'where am i'? sometimes has you walking half-a-block from your true location. Also "No cell signal = no GPS" for assisted GPS, which is why some fool-hikers get lost in big nature parks when their iPhone starts saying it doesn't know where it is.

You'll find better suggestions on a truck/vehicle bus forum.

Hi Lynn:

Kindly thanks for your reply. I'm a freshman on the CONTROL forum. Hence I have a few questions to consult. I'm working in the field of wireless data transceiver solutions with low radio traffic and ultra-low-power management in China. The radio frequency is 433MHz,that is different from Bluetooth, Wifi & ZigBee solution in the frequency of 2.4GHz.

1. Do you know what fields the 433MHz wireless solution apply in the industrial control and instrumentation? As I know,It is wildly applied in the wireless temperature monitor system.Is it the same in your working place?

2. What is the prospect of the wireless technology in the industrial field? Will all wires be replaced by the wireless technology?

Thanks in advance!!
Jason

L

Lynn August Linse

In the US, 433MHz is primary used in children's toys and "RFID" applications with modest distances (20-50 feet?) and small transmitted power.

Few companies will want to use it since in much of the world, that band isn't usable or will have strict power limits. The WiFi 2.4Ghz is the only truly universal radio shippable world wide.

However, 433Mhz (or 900Mhz or 868Mhz) all go farther with less power and penetrate walls/wet trees better.

My company sells a lot of wireless, however it suffers resistance by customers. Yes, it might save $5000 in cable costs ... but customers fear they might spend the $5000 anyway troubleshooting the magic, invisible wireless system.

The other problem with wireless is that often power wires need to be run anyway. Pulling 2 cables (1 power and 1 data) or using a single cable combining power/data is not much more expensive than just pulling the power cable.

Batteries? Yuck. I stopped using wireless mouse/keyboard on my PC because I got sick of dealing with batteries & occasional flakiness where the mouse jumped or keystrokes got lost because my radio line-of-sight wasn't ideal (say, is my desk too cluttered? With Wires? Chicken and egg? :-] )

Industry tends to not like batteries because paying to have workers drive around changing batteries every 1 or 2 years will cost far more than the original device cost.

Wireless will only become universal when (as example) a customer can buy a robust disposable temperature or pressure probe, or other device which comes with a sealed battery guaranteed to last 20 years (so we need better battery technology).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S General Communications Chat 3
M General Automation Chat 1
G Modbus 1
P Modbus 1
M Modbus 0