Johnson's Control Metasys N2

R

Raul Mario

I have a PLC with RS-485 programmable module and i need to communicate with a device that has the protocol Metasys N2 from Johnson's Control. I want to program this protocol in the PLC but I don't have information about the protocol.

R

Richard Theron - FieldServer

Hi Raul

If you want to get the documented protocol specification you would need to obtain that from Johnson Controls, FieldServer Technologies is under a non-disclosure agreement with Johnson Controls.

Thanks,
Richard

Howdy Raul,

I believe that you must sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement in order to receive a copy of the specification.

I speculate that if you want to advertise and sell a device that talks N2, more testing and paperwork will be required by Johnson.

Email me off-list and I will try to find the right contact for you.

Best,
B.O. Aug. 26, 2003
--
Robert Old, System Architecture, [email protected]
Siemens Building Technologies, Inc., Building Automation
1000 Deerfield Pkwy., Buffalo Grove, IL 60089-4513 USA
Phone: +1(847)941-5623, Fax: +1(866)699-0126

Howdy Raul,

I've heard from my contact at Johnson. He indicates that a non-disclosure agreement is not necessary. In addition to the spec, you get some testing help, too. If you elect to join the Metasys Compatible program, you'll need to get your product tested and they'll even help you find a testsite. Contact me off-list for more info.

They are much more accommodating than we are. I think they are smarter to do so.

Best, B.O. Aug. 26, 2003
--
Robert Old, System Architecture, [email protected]
Siemens Building Technologies, Inc., Building Automation
1000 Deerfield Pkwy., Buffalo Grove, IL 60089-4513 USA
Phone: +1(847)941-5623, Fax: +1(866)699-0126

K

Keith Gipson

N2 protocol is a variant of OPTO22 (OPTOMUX), which is highly documented. You can also get the N2 protocol spec directly from Johnson free of charge by faxing a request to their Milwaukee Engineering Center @(414)524-440

Good Luck,

Keith (an ex-Johnson Controls Engineering systems integrator)

Keith E. Gipson
CEO & CTO
Impact Facility Solutions
www.myfacility.com