Keeping Constant Net Power of the Plant.

S

skchp

Hi

Could somebody explain in combined cycle plant with HRSG. if efficiency of compressor decreases because of fouling or whatever, how the control system will keep constant the net power?

Similarly if this degradation happens for turbine?

Thank you so much

skchp,

Do you expect that the gas turbine control system or the DCS would act to maintain net power in the case of axial compressor or gas turbine fouling?

If so, how do think it would do so?

I ask because I'm interested to learn how other perceive these kinds of situations and what drives their thinking.

My experience with a 6X2 configuration-Ovation DCS--

No, the DCS will not compensate for this degradation. all you see is a reduced steam output from the HRSGs or increased thermal transients in the Steam turbine (plus changes in first stage pressures).

The GTs will just get more inefficient cpd drops, flame instability gets worse, and of course Heat Rate drops. these are worst case situations - should be detected early on with proper monitoring.

Good CSA,

Nice to see you asking questions for a change! Seriously, I think this is a great idea, we need more of this on this forum. Of course we will answer questions whenever we can, but people need to realise that they need to think for themselves a little more before asking.