Laboratory power supplies 3 phase wye or split phase?

M

Mark Gallimore

Hi,

I'm from the UK and am trying to understand what voltages are available in engineering laboratories in the UK. We have to ship over some laboratory equipment and are looking at potential problems.

In the UK our equipment runs from a 240v power AC supply (single phase - one live (hot) conductor, one neutral and one earth. Once in America this equipment will run in a chemistry / oil laboratory of several large companies. I believe there are two basic supply systems - 3 phase wye from which I could get 208v between 2 hot conductors or split phase from which I could get 240v between 2 hot conductors. Is it common to have both of these options available or is it likely that only one will be present?

The equipment is small and portable by 2 men although it contains a pair of servo drives and an associated control panel. Because it's lab equipment it will be built to 61010 rather than 60204. The equipment will be plugged in via a nema plug and suitable recetacle. If a Nema 6 is used then I have no access to the neutral line and the equipments control circuits must then run from 208/240v across the two hot conductors. Is this an acceptable option? If I use a Nema 14 plug I can use the neutral and hence run the control circuit at 120v. Any comments on the pros and cons or these options would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mark

M

Michael Griffin

I assume you mean you want to know what voltages are commonly available in a US (not UK) lab. I am in Canada, but I assume the US would be similar.

For normal lab and office environments, 120VAC 15A single phase would be the most common. Anything else may be available, but a special circuit may have to be run in for that equipment. 3 phase circuits may or may not be available in a lab, depending upon whether they already have any large loads (e.g. motors) that need it. I don't know your market, but the lab may be located in a building which does not have 3 phase service, so you may wish to avoid requiring 3 phase.

I don't know your equipment, but the following would be a typical order of preference for single phase electrical requirements:

1) 120VAC 15A single phase. Provide a 2 or 3 metre cord with the standard three prong plug (hot, neutral, and ground).

2) 208VAC to 240VAC single phase (that is specify it as accepting anything in that range). If you need a neutral, then specify it. Not all 208VAC circuits will come with a neutral. Ask the customer to provide their own cord and plug.