Labview or Agilent HPVEE for control

J

John

My customer has requested that the new software to control an automated test and calibration rig that we have just completed be written using Agilent VEE as that is their standard. The control that our rig carries out is quite limited and sequential for the most part driving stepper motors and reading back postion via optic shaft encoders. One part of the process however uses closed loop control of a stepper motor that has to maintain a specific air pressure throughout the test. Problem I have is no knowledge of Agilent VEE and limited of Labview where I have used it in the past mainly for monitoring process. Would appreciate any recommendations as to the most suitable for control before I spend time on a learning curve for VEE only to find it was not the route to go, thanks

M

Michael Griffin

The question doesn't mean much without knowing how fast and regular the pressure control loop has to be (in terms of updates per second). I assume you know what this is, as you have stated the hardware is already actually built.

You may need to consider using an independent controller for this part of the process. You could feed the pressure signal directly into that and download the setpoints and commands to it from the PC and let it control the stepper.

C

Curt Wuollet

Two questions: What does this have to do with Open Computing? Wrong category. And does your customer know that you have no knowledge in the package
they want?

Regards

cww

Thanks, you have all answered my question and sorry this post was in the wrong place, I stand corrected. Back to embedded control and my customer can do the Agilent VEE front end.

Cheers.