learning plc programming

J

jp of philippines

hello!

i want to learn about plc progamming but i dont have enough money to go to a technical school. I'm working as an all-around technician and dealing with PLC, sensors and others.

can anyone help me?

Y

Yosef Feigenbaum

Hello JP,

Where should we send the checks?

Seriously, I'd start off with the web site: plcs.net

In addition I highly recommend learing some computer programming concepts. Knowing how to program a high level language and other computer knowledge (data structures for example) will give you good insight into any PLC programming task.

Finally, the big PLC manufacturers have manuals that you can download for free. Find out what PLCs you have in your plant and download the documentation set from the manufacturer's web site. Then read the manuals.

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)
[email protected]

M
The best thing to do would be to get a small Siemens shoebox (S7-211 series shouldn't be too expensive, especially if it's used).

The software can be downloaded from the siemens website for a 90 day demo period.

And then you can just experiment and play around with different programs... ;)

Hi,

You are in the same situation I was in. The best thing you can do is read the manuals. If you don't have any many of the manufactures allow you to download them from their web site.

Another way is to look at the PLC programs you have and try to work out what is going on. This is the way I found more benificial.

There are some websites which can teach you the basics: http://www.plcman.co.uk/ is one of the best.

Hope this helps.
Rich

When you look on the page by Siemens, you can find hundreds of books (in pdf format) with different items to program in STEP5/STEP7 and all of the subsequent programming posebilitys.

KOP/FUP/AWL/SCL/CFC/Graph/Hi-graph.
This are the handbooks how to use this programs.

When you search on the home-page: WWW4.AD.Siemens.DE then you will find a lot of information and examples.

There are also good books in different langues of PLC's, from the writer "Hans Berger".

I hope you can start to program when you have loaded free the handbooks. There are also trial programs for 30 days. You can also buy a starterset.

best regards
Lowiek

Yes! There is more than likely someone at your plant that knows PLC's or you would not be operating. Watch and listen. This is the only way publications would be an asset. Experimenting is not the answer. I have seen results and can prove very embarrassing. Read and read again. I don't know your age but I'm sure you know your reading comprehension level. Good luck.