Level Measurement-High Pressure, Low Volume

M

Me

I am having a hard time finding a level measuring device that can handle an operating pressure of 4000 psig and temperature of 120 degrees C. This is in a vessel with a 3" diameter and is roughly 5" tall. Total volume is 500 ml. I have spoken with several manufacturers including Ametek/Drexelbrook, Siemens, and Rosemount with very little luck. I am now beginning to steer away from RF and Guided Wave Radar probes to a magnetostrictive device, yet cannot find one that with a MAWP above 3000 psig. Any recommendations?

S
Is it feasible to weigh the thing? Then you don't care about the pressure or temp inside the vessel, but it does mean you have to know the specific gravity and it can't vary.

> Is it feasible to weigh the thing? Then you don't care about the pressure
> or temp inside the vessel, but it does mean you have to know the specific
> gravity and it can't vary.

I am already considering this as a last resort. The issue is the vessel is roughly 20kg and the process material will only be 0-350g. I have a very high precision scale that is 34kg, but the vessel also has 6 process lines connected to it.

> response time?
> temperature?
> materials?
> fluid?

Response time does not have to be instantaneous as this is a continuous operation with a steady flow of only 30ml minute. I am not concerned with maintaining a steady level, just don't want to empty or flood the vessel. Temperature is 120 degrees C max. Material is 97% anhydrous ammonia. Total density around .65g/cc. Level switches will not work, as on/off control will create a significant drop in operating pressure due to the low volume/high pressure.

> Sensor mounting location/type too please.

Sensor mounts at the top of the vessel. Process connection is 3/4" female NPT.