Linear Motor

J

joros

Relatively new to controls. I'm looking for a device to create a controllable mechanical vibration from 100Hz to 1KHz. Any vendor or product information would be much appreciated. Just don't know if I am going down the wrong path with linear motors. I originally thought a piezo based transducer would be the best option but am having trouble finding anything of the sort.

W

William Sturm

Most motors I am aware of, linear included, won't oscillate much over 100HZ.  I have done sine sweeps with a linear motor from 10-100 HZ.  In my case, the current loop was tuned to 600 HZ, I couldn't get anywhere near that with a velocity or position loop.

If you are serious about this, I would talk to folks like Copley Controls or Delta Tau and see what they can recommend.  I'm sure it is technically possible.

Bill Sturm

Abbeytronics LLC

C

Curt Wuollet

You are going to need an extremely fast motor and control system to
provide much displacement at 1 kHz. And if your target mass is significant there will be a lot of power involved. Voice coil positioners are often used to the kHz region, but it all pretty much
depends on what you have to move. Disk drive positioners went from
kilowatts to milliwatts primarily by drastically reducing the mass to be
moved.

yah,it matters the controller, you can choose a dc servo controller, do u mean the speed loop response bandwidth: 1000HZ? if so,u can choose that, and that is not difficult to find one. usually it is suitable for DC brush servo motor, torque motor, hollow cup motor.