Linking a Siemens PLC to SCADA

R

RENE VENTER

I am using a Siemens S5-115U PLC with a 941CPU, and I am trying to establish a link between the PLC and FactorySuite 2000's InTouch application, but so far I have had no success. This is what
I use and what I have done:

I make use of a point-to-point connection between the PLC and the computer on which I run InTouch. (I.o.w. the cable goes straight from the PLC's programming port to the computer's communication
port.) The I/O server that I use is the S3964R driver from Siemens. The baud rate is set at 9600kbs, the data bits is set at 8, the stop
bits is set at 1, and the parity is set at even. The platform from which I am working is Windows 98.

Is it possible to connect by using the above, or do I have to use a CP card (pretty expensive!!)? Do I have to use any Function Blocks in the PLC? (i.e FB244 and FB245)? Anything else that I should
know?

Thank you very much.
Rene

P

Pierre R. Hinse CET

Yes and No.

If you want to use the S3964R driver (DDE Server), you will need a CP card.

If you want to use the PG port on the CPU, You will need a TTY to RS232 converter, or a Siemens programming cable. And a different DDE Driver that supports the PG port protocol. I can't remember the name of the company in Sweden that sells one right now, but I'll look it up later, if you are still interested.

Pierre Hinse CET
Ontario, Canada

M

Malcolm Bird

The Programming port of the PLC uses AS511 protocol not 3964R. The intouch package does not include a AS511 IO Server but there are 3rd party ones available...

look in the wondertools section of the wonderware website

regards

Malcolm Bird
Swift Automation
QSI Group Ltd.
[email protected]

D

D. C. Pittendrigh

Hi Again Rene

The answer to this question is also NO, the Programmer port uses a different protocol and as far as I know there is no Wonderware driver for it, although there is for Citect.

Someone may have developed a 3rd party driver that works I am sure someone on the list will know if this is true.

The cable is also not standard pinouts to this port, you can get the pinouts from an S5-115U manual, as I recall there is only a 20mA loop available, and no standard RS232 port.

Yes the Siemens CP's are the best answer, you will find they are capable of somewhat more than 9600, which is an important consideration as the In Touch serial driver is slow.

There is also the possibility of using a CPU with 2 interfaces, the second interface can be used as you have described.

The FB244 and 245 are for send and receive, in most cases you will need to program a "SEND-ALL" and a "RECEIVE-ALL" job for each interface.

Once again if you don't 'come right', you have my number.

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh

H

Helmut Meissner

Hi Rene,

I think Donald Pittendrigh is right. I do not know so much about Intouch, it is to expensive if you have to build for more then 15 machines about 20 SCADA systems per year. We use an other Scada named T.I.R.S. 32 of a german (and Tchecheslowakian company) that has no runtime fees. This includes a AS511 driver (but we use normaly a Profibus-FMS connection), so you can connect a TTY/RS232 cable direct between PLC and COM-port. This type of cable costs in germany about 70 EURO.

You do not have to change PLC Programm, because the driver is working like a PG fetching data and pulling them back inside the PLC. This method is as slow as a PG. Better is to work with 3964R and a CP524 or CP525 or 2nd PG connector (I think it is not availible for the 941). Then you have much more speed. But you have to program a SEND-ALL and
RECEIVE-ALL (FB 244 and FB245).

You will find PLC-Connector description in the S5 Handbooks like S5-115U
Chapter C.2 page C-2.

For more informations you can contact me

Greetings
Helmut Meissner

K

Kenneth Schunk

Hopefully you have the answer by now, but just in case you don't:

Wonderware does (or at least did) support the programming port, but you wouldn't guess it from the server names. The server you are looking for is the L1DIRECT server. You don't need the FB244 etc. function blocks, but instead need ones provided by Wonderware.

As already pointed out, the programming port is a 15 pin 20ma current loop connection. It supports a protocol called AS511, along with a master/slave network called L1 (at least most of them did - some OLD versions of the processor didn't). When Wonderware wrote their driver they used a L1 type setup with a "mailbox" that all of the data goes through - the function blocks they give you move data in and out of the "mailbox".

It's a bit of a pain to setup, but if you follow the examples in the book / help file it works fine.

The other option is the CP-524/CP-525 card with the RK512/P3964 or P3964R protocol loaded.

Good Luck

Ken

Yes and No.

If you want to use the S3964R driver (DDE Server), you will need a CP card.

If you want to use the PG port on the CPU, You will need a TTY to RS232 converter, or a Siemens programming cable. And a different DDE Driver that supports the PG port protocol. I can't remember the name of the company in Sweden that sells one right now, but I'll look it up later, if you are still interested.

Pierre Hinse CET
Ontario, Canada

H

Helmut Meissner

Hi Rene,

I think Donald Pittendrigh is right. I do not know so much about Intouch, it is to expensive if you have to build for more then 15 machines about 20 SCADA systems per year. We use an other Scada named T.I.R.S. 32 of a german (and Tchecheslowakian company) that has no runtime fees. This includes a AS511 driver (but we use normaly a Profibus-FMS connection), so you can connect a TTY/RS232 cable direct between PLC and COM-port. This type of cable costs in germany about 70 EURO.

You do not have to change PLC Programm, because the driver is working like a PG fetching data and pulling them back inside the PLC. This method is as slow as a PG. Better is to work with 3964R and a CP524 or CP525 or 2nd PG connector (I think it is not availible for the 941). Then you have much more speed. But you have to program a SEND-ALL and
RECEIVE-ALL (FB 244 and FB245).

You will find PLC-Connector description in the S5 Handbooks like S5-115U
Chapter C.2 page C-2.

For more informations you can contact me

Greetings
Helmut Meissner