Linux Tales (was Blackout of 2003)

• Thread starter Michael Griffin
  • Start date
M

Michael Griffin

On October 6, 2003, Ranjan Acharya wrote:
<clip>
> The general expression there is that it is still not ready for the big time.
<clip>

Err, I'm not quite sure who you've been speaking to about this, but so far the main market for Linux has been "the big time". The question has been how successful it will be in extending down into "the small time" where Windows
predominates.

> (in an unscientific anecdotal survey, I have
> not found a hard-core Linux user yet who has not re-compiled their kernel).
<clip>

And in another anecdotal survey, I have not found a car nut who hasn't rebuilt his engine. Linux is mainly used in server applications by IT professionals, many of whom would take their computers to bed with them if they could.
People who are re-compiling kernals for individual PCs are doing this as a hobby at home, because they can (they dream up the justifications later). Commercial installations use stock kernals.

Asking a Linux nut about Linux is like asking a car nut about cars. Both just want to talk about taking it apart and putting it back together again.

> - All my customers remain with Windows or HP-UX
<clip>

Linux has been replacing proprietary Unix versions (such as HP-UX) in many installations. Your customers currently using HP-UX may wish to switch to Linux for cost reasons, or to become more vendor independent. In this case, some experience with Linux could be important to you.

--

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

R

Ranjan Acharya

Michael,

I am only referring to industrial automation here. Not the server room. I am quite aware of the successes of Linux there.

Let me know when Linux is ready with A-B, Siemens, GE and so on where all my customers live.

RA