Liquid sulphur flow measurement

B

Bogdan

Could somebody advise me how to measure liguid sulphur flow to the sulphur burner? The pipe is 65mm, flow range 7 m3/h. Now we use rotameters, but it don't work properly.

J
We use a lagged Coriolis meters, we have used them for high and low flow range applications

Dear Memebers,
The advise is as follows, if wrong please correct me.

The liquid sulphur will give scaling on the instruments, and also corrosive. Its easier if we can measure the Sulphur in the solid/power form by using load cells.

regards,
ravindra

M

Matthew Hyatt

Have you researched the various flow meter manufactures? That is going to be the best place to get good, reliable information. it is very difficult to provide instrumentation details when all tha tis given is the material and the flow range.

Temp?
SG?
viscosity?
What is up with the rotameters? Are they failing due to corrosion? or build up?

I would be glad to do the research for you and give you the results.

Also, look into ultra-sonic flowmeters, and even mag flowmeters rated for corrisive environments.

Got consulting?
technical Consultants
[email protected]

W
D. A. Sanghvi is correct. Even though some people use (or try to use) coriolis meters, the best instrument for the job is a spool-piece transit time meter. The original design came from Manning, but I understand that ThermoElectron killed the product a few years ago. GE Panametrics does this application, and I believe that Controlotron and Krohne can too (in India, try Forbes Marshall).

Walt Boyes
---------------------
Editor-in-Chief/Publisher
Control magazine
Putman Media
555 West Pierce Road, Suite 301
Itasca, IL 60143-2649
Ph. 630-467-1300 ext. 368
Fx. 253-981-0285
[email protected]
www.controlglobal.com
--------------------------

I have personally done this using transit time strap on meters. The equipment showed a sonic velocity similar to that of sulphur in the lab we had tested using Mesa Lab equipment on the application I was doing. The insert meters we bought previously failed because the process details were not correct in the initial spec and the sonic pentration angle the manufacturer chose was wrong. When it was installed, we could not do anything and ended up with a big white elephant! The fixed meters are good but only if correct process details are given in the first place. Make sure you get correct process details when purchasing fixed meters. These animals depend on Snells law of refraction, so there is a dependancy on viscosity and material/fluid densities which affect the penetration angle and therefore transducer spacing.
I would be interested in any vendor who can come up with a fixed version of the insert type sensors where the angle can be adjusted on site.
Nowadays we simply use a clamp on meter as we could end up losing a ton of money if we are supplied the wrong configuration. Make sure you get a manufacturer's warranty on the application you are doing . Many of them won't promise you , so poke around and see who is willing to do it. I have managed to get 3 vendors to make a guarantee on performance. They are Controlotron, EESIFLO and Panametrics.

Sergey M
Chief Maintenance Superintendant
Alowan