Log and Display Historical Trend on a PC

My customer wishes to log some data values from a PLC via MODBUS TCP. The data is only valid when the associated valve is open. Logging data every one (1) second. The valve is open between 5 and 30 seconds at intermittent times. The times between data logging can be several hours. Data logging is not an issue but viewing it is. The large times between data requires too much scrolling or searching. Try to locate a 10 second event in a days worth of data.

The customer needs a PC based, low cost solution to open and view the database. A trend display that can open the database and then change the viewing width (zoom out) to between 60 seconds and days. When he wants to examine an event he can move to that time and then zoom in for more detail.

We are not looking for an HMI solution since the factory floor is not where the data is required to be viewed.

Any good experiences or suggestions welcomed.

Hi,

Since you want a low cost solution i think you will have to do some programming in p.e. .NET. Modbus is an open protocol with plenty of information available so it shouldn't be a problem to write an application to retrieve data from the PLC. To store data you could use an SQL database. The free version of SQL server has performance problems especially if you collect lots of data, so i would go for MySQL which can be easily integrated in .NET. Further you will have to write a front end program to display data from the database or use a (paid) reporting tool to generate reports and export to excel.

ICC provides a free Modbus master tool that is built on the .NET framework. It can operate as both a Modbus TCP or Modbus RTU master that can continuously monitor and log register sets to a .CSV file for post-processing by a program such as Microsoft Excel. The .CSV file is shared, which means that other applications can access the data while new values are simultaneously being logged.

http://www.iccdesigns.com/products/software/icc-modbus-master-tool.html

We also have a series of training videos on our YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/IndustrialCtrlComms

Josh

In my experience, while you can create a custom solution pretty easily, it's possible to become anchored down by it, supporting it, and managing it over the long haul. It could end up being more cost effective to buy a product that can get this done quickly and easily without custom code or technology integration. You'd have to decide for your particular situation. I know Dream Report is one option because it has the Modbus connectivity built right in, can log the data and then generate trends of the flows for the times the valve is open, just with the standard product and no customization. It will probably take you a morning to set up and be done.

take a look at cogent data hub product distributed in us by software toolbox. the product offers a MODBUS/TCP connection, scripting which would allow you to only log the data when valve is open, data logging to .txt &/or data base via ODBC & a web based viewing of the data. an all in one solution. maybe more initial cost but it has been my experience that when you provide this solution you'll quickly have more requests...

<b>Moderator's Note:</b> I think the URL for Software Toolbox is https://www.softwaretoolbox.com/