Logix MO2AE Motion Card Setup

B

B.P. Bompensiero

I'm using a MO2AE for controlling hydraulic proportional valve based on encoder feedback. I have been able to recieve counts without trouble in feedback only mode.

I need some direction in seting the module up for controlling the valve. When I switch to Servo-Output, I get differen't than expected values for the command. After about 4 inches of stroke, the module faults on feedback error.

The 196 page manual, although detailed, is geared to using this card with an A/B drive and motor. This is where I am having trouble understanding what the parameters are actually doing and which ones are a must to even get a jog command out of the card.

Does anyone know of a site, document, or have experience with a "getting started" type guide or application document? Any information or suggestions will be helpful.

P

Peter Nachtwey

Did you do the hook up test? This checks the polarities of of the wires and makes sure that the axis will go in the right direction.

Don't count on the auto tuning to work. Hydraulic systems may not be linear. Closed center valve can be a real problem.

Make you fault windows bigger so it will tolerate bigger following errors before faulting. Tune the system and when you have control, reduce the following error window.

This should work with few problems if you are controlling a hydraulic motor. Control a linear cylinder is more of a problem because the gains change as the directions change. There are hydraulic motion controllers that connect up to Control Logix using Ethernet/IP.

M
I am looking at using the M02AE for controlling Hydraulic Servovalves as well. I would be interested in your solution if you have one.

B

B.P. Bompensiero

> Did you do the hook up test? This checks the polarities of of the wires and makes sure that the axis will go in the right direction.
>

No. I guess that was my question. What tests/setups are actually necessary to get some response out of the card. I will start with that and see where I get.

This is more an R&D project so I do have the hardware for testing. I was supprised that it allowed me to skip certain callibration tests during the setup.

It is a cylinder with an encoder. I don't need proportional control in the reverse direction, only forward.

I was hoping the software would force you through the necessary setup items before allowing the card to be put in a 'run' mode.

Thanks for the help, I will try your suggestions. If you have any other suggestions until then, please, let me know.

Thanks again.

P

Peter Nachtwey

> No. I guess that was my question. What tests/setups are actually necessary to get some response out of the card. I will start with that and see where I get.

It is not necessary to get a response but it help to get the right response.

> It is a cylinder with an encoder.

Usually a MDT rod is used with a cylinder. See "www.balluff.com":http://www.balluff.com and "www.tempsonics.com":http://www.tempsonics.com .

>I don't need proportional control in the reverse direction, only forward.

Ok

P

Peter Nachtwey

There will be a 1756 HYD02 module that has 2 MDT interfaces and two +/- 10 volt outputs. It will use the same motion blocks as the M02AE. Basically it will be a M02AE converted to do hydraulic applications.

If you do use the M02AE now, you will be able to easily change to the HYD02 later when they are available.

If you need a real hydraulic motion controller now and can't wait for the HYD02 look at the RMC100. It will communicate with the Control Logix see "www.deltacompsys.com":http://www.deltacompsys.com using Profibus DP, Ethernet/IP or DF1. Most use Ethernet/IP.