Looking for a good PLC programming book

E

Edmond

Good Evening all.
This is my first visit to the site and my first post so without further ado here's my story in a nutshell. The head control tech (responsible for all design, spec, and PLC programming) at our company quit today. Myself being the most electrically fluent in the company now I have a feeling they might come to me to pick up some of the extra slack around he shop. My PLC experience is limited but I am a quick learn so I was hoping to pick up a good reference or textbook on PLC programming but after looking around I am befuddled by the number of choices. This is where I am looking for help. Can anyone recommend some good material for a beginning PLC programmer. We deal mainly with small assembly machines usually with a SLC500 or Micrologix 1000. Hopefully you all can recommend something good. If things go as I feel they may. I may be coming back for more advice. I get a good feeling about the help just by looking around at this site. Well thank you all in advance for any direction you may be able to povide.

Edmond

R

Rocco F. Dominick

Edmond,

The following information may be of assistance:

Programming Controllers Using the Allen-Bradley SLC-500 Family by David A. Geller - ISBN:0130962082

Programmable Controllers Using Allen-Bradley SLC500 and ControlLogix by Robert Filer and George Leinonen - ISBN:013025603X

Micro Mentor - Understanding and Applying Micro Programmable Controllers by Allen-Bradley 1761-MMB - September 1995 - about $25.00 USD.

Good luck on your new opportunity.
Rocky

R

Robert D. Wagner

Edmond:

I'd first suggest looking on the Rockwell, www.ab.com website. Once there you will find topics of "Manuals Online" and "The Automation
Bookstore" in the left side column. You should be able to find most everything you need, available for download, within these topics.

Robert D. Wagner, P.E.

E

Electro Mechanical Systems

Try "Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers", 2nd edition by Gary Dunning through Delmar (www.delmar.com) ISBN 0-7668-1768-7

Mike Adkins
Electro Mechanical Systems, Inc.

C

Charles @ AIS

Edmond-

For the core basics of PLC info., see if you can find an old copy of "MicroMentor" by Allen Bradley. Check with your local distributor... they may have one or two laying around. Beyond that, check www.theautomationbookstore.com . Rockwell has that website setup so that you may order or download any publication for free (in most cases). Some of the training materials for RSLogix 500 can be found there and ordered. If you are a self-starter, the materials can be well worth reading through versus paying the 1200-1400 bucks for the formal training (but the training may be worth checking into as well). Hope this helps!

Charles

J

J.J. Overton

You may want to look at the rstrainer2000 cd from rockwell automation they are good at giving you the hands on training you may need. Thanks Jerry

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Phil Melore offers a book through the http://www.plcs.net/book.shtml site. It is reasonably priced and in addition to the book provides online tutorial information.

I hope this helps.

God Bless,
Stephen Luft
Entertron Industries
3857 Orangeport Rd.
Gasport, NY 14067
Tel: 716-772-7216
Fax: 716-772-2604
web: www.entertron.com
wwjd

Edmond,

The best possible source of "educational" material might be right in front of you. Why not go through your company's existing programs and try to analyze how they work? This will probably give you some excellent insight into the specific programming skills that your job will require - with much better results than you'll get from reading some generic "how-to" manual which may - or may not - apply to your particular applications. Once you've looked through these existing programs, post again with any specific questions that you might have.

Tip: From the RSLogix500 Main Menu (at the very top of the screen) - click Help - then SLC Instruction Help - then click the abbreviation of any particular instruction that you're having trouble understanding. Also click the "Help" button on any pop-up windows that you have questions about. This software's online help feature provides a lot of good material.

Good luck.

Look for a book written by Gary Dunning. It was published by Delmar publishing. I can't remember the title but I used it as a reference once.