Looking for deep field, narrow sense width prox.

J

John Kelley

The plastic sits on a moving line and the plastic guide holes are apx. 1.5" from a metal support rail. Due to space considerations, the sensor must be mounted at least .75 (more like 1.0") from the part, but needs to have a field narrow enough so that it will not see the support rail or other parts of the assembly equipment. Thanks for any help you can give me.

D

Dean Kindrai

Rather than using a prox, I'd recommend doing it optically. It will cost a little more (I'm thinking of a SUNX fiber optic sensor at about $139 plus $60-$100 worth of fibers), but you should get a lot better results.

Sources of Optical Sensors
SUNX - I know they have models that can do this.
www.sunx-ramco.com

Balluff - Probably have some as well.
www.balluff.com

Dean Kindrai
Neff Engineering of WI

J
Thanx, Dean.... I'm in Indiana and work with Neff here quite a bit, and I know you all carry Balluff... I'll give you all a call.

I am concerned about optics, though. This aforementioned spring sits in a seat that is hollow at the bottom (except for a small retainer hip) so an optical would have to focus on reflectivity from the side (or wall) of the seat and see the metal versus dark plastic. Is this a reliable option, in your experience?

Thanks,

John