Looking for 'Pulse Generator' Handwheel

D

David Kane

I need a supplier for a handwheel encoder, sometimes known as a pulse generator. To be used essentially on a CNC type machine for handwheel jogging.

I am having problems finding a source that has deliveries less than 16 weeks.

Thanks

Dave Kane

W

Walter W. Dingfelder

Hello Dave,

Here are a few links that may help. I am uncertain of the deliveries for these manufacturers, but they are most likely better than the well known suppliers...

http://www.micronor.ch/Pulsegene.htm

http://www.sumtak.com/image/product/pulseLGT/indexLGT.htm

If I locate any additional suppliers, I'll forward them to you...

Walter W. Dingfelder
Master Control Technologies
[email protected]

> I need a supplier for a handwheel encoder, sometimes known as a pulse generator. To be used essentially on a CNC type machine for handwheel jogging.

>

> I am having problems finding a source that has deliveries less than 16 weeks.

>

> Thanks

>

> Dave Kane

A

Anthony Kerstens

How many pulses per turn do you expect, and at
what voltage? It would seem that what you're asking for is an encoder with a wheel. Unless there's some special functionality, you should be able to cobble together something from local suppliers.

Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

B
At the risk of being way wrong (since I don't have any hands-on experience with CNC) but:
- how many pulses should be generated per handwheel revolution?
- is the output single pulse or quadrature (two pulses, offset by 1/2 a pulse width)?

With those kinds of lead times it might be worthwhile to buy a bare handwheel from MSC, McMaster-Carr, etc., and connect it to a rotary pulse generator (RPG), for instance, those sold by Red Lion, Danaher, etc. If the number of pulses per revolution required doesn't match off-the-shelf RPGs then gearing might need to be added between the handwheel and RPG. It might
look ugly, but getting replacement parts in the future would be a snap.

Another possibility would be to make inquiries to some of the surplus industrial machinery sites on the web, and see if anyone has a used, working
identical replacement part for sale.

Bob

J
We normally take a standard encoder, install it from the rear of our control console with the shaft protruding, and couple a knurled knob to the shaft. Unless you need some other special features, this is simple and works real well.

Joe Rizzolo