Looking for Suitable system for Water pipeline SCADA

A

Auto_guy

I need a standard system for a small Water Pipeline SCADA system project. There are about 20 PLC/RTU's in the system which are to be specified by us as well as an standard HMI system with redundant OWS and single EWS. Can someone please suggest an industry standard package which is suitable for such an application? I would like suggestions on the PLC/RTU as well.

Thank you!

J

Jake Brodsky

Many water utilities use integrators to install these systems. The products are often from companies such as Invensys Wonderware, A-B Rockwell, Intellution, and others.

Most water utilities use ModbusRTU as a SCADA protocol, though I would encourage you to look more closely at DNP3 if you want a configuration that will last for the long term. (Full disclosure: I am a member of the DNP3 technical committee and a large water SCADA user/engineer).

F

Fred Loveless

We have Municipal Water Districts all over the world as customers. The PLCs and SCADAs used are as varied as the locations. Most of the time the decision to use a particular SCADA or PLC is dependent upon the availability of support. Very few Water Management districts have the luxury of a PLC trained Engineer on their staffs. They depend on local integrators.

I believe there are several sites devoted to Potable and Waste Water management resources. My suggestion would be to check these for resources close to you and work from there.

Fred Loveless
Senior Application Engineer
Kepware Technologies
http://www.kepware.com

Hello Auto Guy,
In your project, if you have large master meters along the pipeline and/or within the plant and pumping stations that you'd like to read, then the EtherMeter (by my company SCADAmetrics), will collect totalization and flow data from these meters and send it to your SCADA System using the Modbus protocol.

This device can be used as an "external I/O module" assisting a PLC to read one (or two) meters. And it can also be used as a standalone RTU at a basic metering location.

And it interoperates with equipment and software from other vendors (such as KepServerEx from Kepware) because it speaks Modbus.

More information is available on scadametrics.com

Hope this helps!

Jim