Magnetic Flowmeter for Cocoa Liquor/Mass ?

C

Chloe28

Can Magnetic Flowmeter be used to measure flow for Cocoa Liquor/Mass?
Not sure if it is conductive enough. And no, i don't have a conductivity meter.

Thank you.

If you don't know the conductivity, all I can tell you is "probably." Cocoa Liquor is water based, and water's conductivity is plenty high for a magnetic flowmeter. As long as you have a full pipe you should be fine. Most magnetic flowmeters operate well if the conductivity isn't terribly variable and is above about 20 microSiemens. Some vendors claim much lower minimum conductivities, but in the spirit of belt-AND-suspenders, never push a specification to the breaking point...

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control and Controlglobal.com
www.controlglobal.com

Mailto:[email protected]
Read my blog SoundOFF!! At www.controlglobal.com/soundoff

R
"And no, i don't have a conductivity meter"

Then take your multimeter on a high Ohms scale and put the two probes into liquid, if it reads at all, yes a Mag meter will work.

Roy

I

Issac Issachar

According to this listing of electrical conductivities of various substances,

http://www.smartmeasurement.com/en/wizards/flowmeter/flmtr_mag_conductivity.asp

(site formatting might insert a space into the URL, there are no spaces in the real URL)

chocolate liquor has zero conductivity. That jives with comments from colleagues who work with chocolate - it's an oil base.

The table is interesting for stating conductivities in uS per inch. I'd never seen that before . . .

Issac

Given that "Chocolate Liquor" does not conduct, and presuming that Cocoa mass is the same thing as Chocolate Liquor (Wiki says so) a Mag Flow meter will not work at all.

As I recall from my chocolate controlling days Cocoa liquor is also flammable and it solidifies at ambient temperatures.
Coriolis might be a better bet.

T

Thong Phat Co., Ltd.

Hello,

Cocoa liquor has other name is chocolate liquor. It is made from fine grinding cocoa bean. It contents 50% to 55% cocoa butter and less than 3% water. So it has a very poor conductivity. Magnetic flowmeter will not work with it.

It will be crystallized slowly to solid at ambient temperature 32oC or below. Coriolis or PD meters will work with cocoa liquor, of course accompany with a heater jacket. I recommend using clamp-on ultrasonic meter for chocolate liquor.

Regards,
Hung Lam