Making a vb 6.0 exe an NT service

A

Amit Kumar

I have an vb exe which runs continously on a server....but i have to start it everytime I reboot the server manually...i want the exe to start itself ....is making this exe an NT service a solution, if yes how can we make an exe an nt service in VB 6.0 so that it starts itself like sql server or IIS

M

Michael K. Clark

There may be an Active X component called NTSRVOCX which allows a VB application to install itself as a service and interact correctly with the Windows NT service control manager. To use it, you are supposed to simply drop it on the main form for your application, and set it up. Unfortunately, I have never used this component. I have written several Windows NT services, however I wrote them in Visual C++, not Visual Basic. Good luck > is making this exe an NT service a solution, if yes how can we make an exe an nt service in VB 6.0 so that it starts itself like sql server or IIS.

A
In the NT 4.0 Resource Kit there is a utility called SERVANY that will allow you to make an EXE into a service. Alan

S

Shannon Burroughs

You can definitely create a service with Visual Basic using the Microsoft NT Service Control (NTSVC.ocx). This control gives you the ability to develop a NT Service using VB rather easily. The best location for information is within MSDN. Search for (in quotes) "NT Service: An OLE Control for Creating Windows NT Services in Visual Basic". The location is under 'Technical Articles'. Just make sure that your application is written well enough to respond to any control events. Good Luck.