Mark I VCE issues

Hi everyone, we have a frame 7 with speedtronic Mark I controls. Unit trips around 65% during startup. The VCE gauge starts to jump up and down from around 8 to 5 until unit finally trips. We have checked just about everything without success. Any ideas?? Unit was running fine until a major overhaul last fall and now we can’t get it to fire.

Cap21,

First, what fuel is the unit being started on?

Second, does it burn any other fuel (and if so, what fuel(s) and have you tried starting on a different fuel and if so what, exactly where the results)?

Third, would you please be more specific about the troubleshooting you've done--and what the results of the troubleshooting were?

Fourth, is the unit tripping on loss of flame? (I would like to ask about the average exhaust temperature and exhaust temperature spreads, but that's not easily obtainable information from a Mark I.)

Fifth, and finally, while there are still a number of Mark I turbine control systems still in service most have been modified--some extensively--by people who through lots of trial and error (and because of the existence of ”back-sheets” for the printed circuit cards) came to be very proficient at maintaining and troubleshooting and modifying the Mark I's under their care and responsibility. Many of those people, and therefore much of that knowledge and experience has left the workforce. And, I seriously doubt (but seriously hope to be proven wrong) that of those people who are still working are not (or haven't been) on control.com.

We can offer some very basic troubleshooting information but, I, at least, won't be able to offer much else without access to as-built drawings and a LOT more information than you have provided.

This unit has been modified EXTENSIVELY to say the least. The unit used to be run on paraffin, then it was modified to run diesel or natural gas but it now only runs on diesel.

3rd. We have checked the temperature control, speed, and VCE cards. (I believe we ended up replacing all of them). We checked all hydraulic lines for leaks. We checked the speed pickups and verified they were within the specified GE settings.

4th. We are not sure why the unit is tripping. It doesn’t give us any alarms. When the unit is accelerating, we get a 64S Lina light around 3000rpm. After that it goes up to around 3400 rpm and it then trips. On the way back down, that light clears up around the same rpm so when the unit finally coasts down, there’s no lights or alarms on. This is what is so frustrating about this issue.

The unit just went through a major over haul and it hasn’t ran ever since.
The IGV move up and down in sync with the VCE swings.
We were able to get to full speed no load today a couple times but not back to back.
The unit trips exactly at the same point which is right before speed control takes over.
Ill try to get some exhaust temps and some drawings tomorrow.