Mark V and Ex 2000 Dead Bus Breaker Closure and Grid Energization

Any one having experience of carrying out necessary changes in the logic/configuration to enable GCB closure on dead bus and further grid energization. Can any one recommend vendor/system integrators who can do that? hands on expertise are required for Mark V(iDos) and Ex 2000 design/configuration perspective.
Attache dis the summarized scope, companies with proven expertise are most welcome to contact
[email protected]

Attachments

Any one having experience of carrying out necessary changes in the logic/configuration to enable GCB closure on dead bus and further grid energization. Can any one recommend vendor/system integrators who can do that? hands on expertise are required for Mark V(iDos) and Ex 2000 design/configuration perspective.
Attache dis the summarized scope, companies with proven expertise are most welcome to contact
[email protected]
Yasir,

Your attachment does not specify if the diesel is capable of isoch operation. Also what is the output voltage of the diesel and does it have a step up transformer to 11kV.

In my experience, we usually just connect the diesel to the aux bus of the combustion turbine via some switchgear and start the combustion turbine and sync it to the diesel running in isoch mode. In this type of configuration: dead bus is not needed. Just be very careful in this island mode of operation, it is very easy for the much larger combustion turbine to consume too much of the islanded load and trip the diesel. We sync via manual operation and make sure to hold the sync scope at top dead center and then close 52G.

Believe it or not, it is the smaller transformers that have the large in-rush current. The diesel should be able to handle the load.

Yasir,

Your attachment does not specify if the diesel is capable of isoch operation. Also what is the output voltage of the diesel and does it have a step up transformer to 11kV.

In my experience, we usually just connect the diesel to the aux bus of the combustion turbine via some switchgear and start the combustion turbine and sync it to the diesel running in isoch mode. In this type of configuration: dead bus is not needed. Just be very careful in this island mode of operation, it is very easy for the much larger combustion turbine to consume too much of the islanded load and trip the diesel. We sync via manual operation and make sure to hold the sync scope at top dead center and then close 52G.

Believe it or not, it is the smaller transformers that have the large in-rush current. The diesel should be able to handle the load.
our BSDG is connected to 6.3KV busbar, energizing 6.3KV is not an issue, however 11kv side of both transformers are connected to each other with no breaker in between, that avoidance is not possible, please see attached drawing for any further suggestions

Attachments

our BSDG is connected to 6.3KV busbar, energizing 6.3KV is not an issue, however 11kv side of both transformers are connected to each other with no breaker in between, that avoidance is not possible, please see attached drawing for any further suggestions
I viewed your 1 line. I noticed that EM-DG-001 Blackstart BG-1 is marked as later. I am assuming it is now installed. If so, you do not need any modifications. You merely need a blackstart procedure.

Hello

Just have read the thread.. And got one following question..
There is black start generator shown on the SLD... why is written "later"..
Also is that units/plant been packaged by GEEPE... IF SO... Did you ever contacted them for this query..

Will have a closer look at the Drawings... And will comeback..

Dead bus & Black start configuration should be designed /operated in concert...
For a smooth operation of the plant.

James

Hello

Just have read the thread.. And got one following question..
There is black start generator shown on the SLD... why is written "later"..
Also is that units/plant been packaged by GEEPE... IF SO... Did you ever contacted them for this query..

Will have a closer look at the Drawings... And will comeback..

Dead bus & Black start configuration should be designed /operated in concert...
For a smooth operation of the plant.

James
BSDG is already installed, update drawing is attached, apology for inconvenience

Attachments

I viewed your 1 line. I noticed that EM-DG-001 Blackstart BG-1 is marked as later. I am assuming it is now installed. If so, you do not need any modifications. You merely need a blackstart procedure.
it is already installed, updated drawing is attached, apology for inconvenience, BSDG is good enough to support startup of plant upto GTS FSNL, but grid energization is not possible in current scenario, it is merely a 3 MW generator with upstream transformers of around 250 MVA inductive load and capacitive load of transmission lines, therefore the best strategy would be to energize grid in a soft way using 148.5 MVA generators

Attachments

BSDG is already installed, update drawing is attached, apology for inconvenience
Actually these are old units, commissioned in 1998/99, deadbus closure face plates are developed but there is no logic, we have few latest machines also with Mark 6E also, their logics are well defined.
When we took up this issue with GE , they say that control and excitation system shall be upgrade, as per them are constraints in existing system, I don't see any genuine limitation as far as hardware is concerned apart from competent resources to carry out necessary configurations changes

Yasir,

BSD is capable of iso mode, but this alone doesn't serve the purpose, BSDG is connected to 6.3 kv bus, where as we have atleast two transformers to energize before we can sychronize our GT

Attachments

Yasir...
Can you provide additional information? As I understand it, your goal is to provide (maybe for "black-start" reasons ?) a means to bring power to components of a "dead plant" ? But the only means available is to energize non-connectable, but dormant, higher voltage system's equipment meaning cable inductance, capacitance, transformer magnetizing current, etc !

If I am correct, I suggest you further investigate "Curious_One's" advice !

Regard's Phil Corso

BSD is capable of iso mode, but this alone doesn't serve the purpose, BSDG is connected to 6.3 kv bus, where as we have atleast two transformers to energize before we can sychronize our GT
Yasir,
I viewed your latest 1 line. You do not need dead line modifications. You merely need to formulate a black start procedure.

GT-2 and GT-3 are the units that will be able to sync to the diesel. The key to a black start procedure is the ability to create your "islands" of operation that Phil Corso referred to.

In my experience, The high voltage switchgear on the high side of the generator step up transformer for G2 or G3 will need to be closed to allow the generator breaker permissive for the respective turbine.

For example, we will focus on G2 and have performed complete electrical isolation of G1,G3, and G4 turbine. We are also going to isolate connections that G2 feeds your high voltage switchyard.

Ensure G2 high voltage switchgear is closed and G2 generator support systems are ready. Start the diesel and once G2 has power from the diesel the support systems will energize...now start G2 and sync to diesel. DO NOT autosync. VERY LITTLE load on island.

Once you have a picture in your mind of what I am describing you and I can discuss it even more. Perhaps it will make it easier if one was to take your 1 line and imagine every breaker on that one line is open. Now draw a path on what breakers need to be closed to support G2 from the power provided by the blackstart generator.

Once you have a picture in your mind of what I am describing you and I can discuss it even more. Perhaps it will make it easier if one was to take your 1 line and imagine every breaker on that one line is open. Now draw a path on what breakers need to be closed to support G2 from the power provided by the blackstart generator.
Yasir,
This is GT2 island. Not a very good scan. Does not print well. Must view in color. But it will work.

Attachments