Mark-V Data gathering tool - TIMN

A

Anonymous

Can some one guide me to get startup data using TIMN as our plant is installed with just one <I>? I have been told that GE field guys capture data through TIMN while unit is started with <I>.

You can look in the Mark V Maintenance Manual, Chapt. 4, for the information which can be obtained using TIMN. It might be possible that someone with a lot of time on their hands has determined a way to access memory locations, but it would most likely have to be done so using the hex memory addresses of data values and then use some means to scale those values into understandable engineering units.

Again, not impossible--but without some software tool to look up point info and scale the info which is retrieved it would be difficult and time-consuming.

There is an old saying: Don't believe everything you hear.

Now, if you want to gather data with a single <I>, it can be done using a couple of tools, but the faster rate would be once-per-second. The best tool would be Short-Term Trending, and using the command-line application VIEWST.EXE to capture the data from RAM to an ASCII text file, which could then be manipulated using something like MS-Excel.

You can use Short-Term Trending to capture data "in the background". The point list is limited, and the fastest rate is 1 Hz (or, once-per-second), but it's better than nothing.

Chapt. 6 of the Mk V Maintenance Manual, GEH-6980, has information on Short-Term Trending and VIEWST.EXE. If you need more help, write back and let us know.

Although difficult to stay awake while reading, there really is some useful information in the Mk V documentation supplied with the control system: The Operators' or User's Manual, GEH-5979; the Maintenance Manual, GEH-5980; and the Application Manual, GRH-6195. It's really helpful to sit down with a pad of "post-it notes" and skim through the documents and put these "flags" on the pages you want to return to. Even make a list of the really important information you find, then prioritize the list, and go back to the sections and re-read them--and ask for help or clarification here in control.com.

They are very "dry" reading, but, again, there really is some useful information in those manuals. It just takes a good skimming through to find things which catch your eye and which might be useful. They absolutely CANNOT be read from Page 1 to the last page (they just aren't structured for reading that way--they really aren't structured very well for reading at all...but that's another story!).

Have a look--you'll probably be very surprised at what one can do with the <I>. Most people don't even know how to create or edit User Defined Displays (or, Demand Displays)--which can be very helpful in troubleshooting, gathering data for logs and reports, and for putting important data and command targets in convenient places.

markvguy