MARK V IDOS Control System

D

DJAFER

I am an Instrument . We are using Speedtronic Mark-V IDOS Control System
on our Gas Turbine Application.

Is there anybody who can send me installation mark v idos procedure.

thanks

>>I am an Instrument.

Yes; you are.

This is going to be short, as it's believed this has been described before on control.com. And, it's not going to go into a great deal of detail as it's presumed you're familiar with PCs and directory structures and executables and batch files, etc.

In the future, before asking your questions, please use the 'Search' feature (be sure to read the 'Help' for the 'Search' function) to see if the question has been asked and answered before. Try different, related terms, not just one term or two terms and one or two searches. A LOT of information has been covered previously on control.com, and one of the beauties of a forum like this is that it can be searched to find those answers and questions, and you should find that most people were kind enough to reply if they found the information useful or not. (That's a HUGE hint, Djafer, Instrument.)

First, you need to be referring to the Mark V Maintenance Manual, GEH-5980, Sect. 3.

Second, the computer you are installing IDOS on needs to be bootable into MS-DOS, usually ver. 6.n (I forget what the last version was).

Referring to GEH-5980, Sect. 3.1, you will need to create the directory structure you see in the first example, on the C: drive. MS-DOS needs to be installed in the C:\DOS directory.

When you have created the directory structure as shown for the C: drive, you will need to copy the files from an <I> to the same directories on the PC you are setting up.

You will also need a mouse driver for the mouse you will be using. If the mouse driver file name is something other than MSMOUSE.COM, you will need to rename it to MSMOUSE.COM for it to be recognized and to work properly.

When you have created the directory structure and copied the files to the proper directories, you will need to put the configuration files into the root of C: drive. On an <I> you will find a directory called G:\DATA. In that directory you will find two very important files: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. These two files need to be in the root of the C: drive of the computer you will be installing IDOS on. They have the information necessary to configure the PC to run IDOS. (If you already have a working AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS on the computer, you will need to save them to files with different names/filename extensions so you can go back to your original configuration).

Here's where I'm kind of unsure (it's been a long time). There is a file in C:\IDP\DATA called RUN_IDP.BAT. In that file there is a line which begins G:\EXEC\ARCDRIVE. I believe you will need to add a semi-colon to the front of that line in order to prevent the ARCnet driver from loading and hanging up the boot process. Regardless, you will need to block the loading of the ARCnet driver or it will hang the boot process.

After you have done all of the above, you should be pretty close to having a working <I>. Just give it the three-finger salute (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and it should boot into IDOS and if you populated the directories properly, you should get to an animated IDOS display (with no data!).

If this doesn't work for you, sorry. This is all I'm willing to do on this kind of forum. I've tried this over email many times with lots of people, and it usually fails miserably and it becomes my fault and my responsibility to fix it. Not this time.

Best of luck!

I think I mis-typed when I said that RUN_IDP.BAT is in C:\IDP\DATA. The one that gets "executed" is in C:\IDP\EXEC, I'm pretty sure. So, that's the one that needs to be edited to comment out the line for the ARCnet driver to allow the PC to boot up to whatever is defined to be the "Main Display" on your <I>s.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.