Mark-V Simulator

S

samson16

Hello there,

I am looking to procure a Mark-V simulator. This is to provide training in Gas turbine operation through MK-V and Mark-V maintenance. Simulator can be hardware (similar to GE's Mark-V trainer) along with software for HMI (to be installed on PCs). Software based simulator similar to that of a Mark-VI simulator will also do.

I can be contacted separately on [email protected] or [email protected].

samson16,

GE did produce what was called the "Mark V Suitcase Trainer", so-called because it was housed in an aluminium attache-/briefcase. It consisted of two DCC/LCC cards--one configured as <C>, the other as <R> (so it was a SIMPLEX trainer), as well as power supplies for the cards. It came with software to disable I/O as well as to simulate speed and load and operating parameters. It was possible to connect and <I> or HMI, and then start, stop, load/unload a GE-design heavy duty gas turbine. It was supposed to be site-specific--but it rarely was. And, most importantly--it had no ability to initiate situations that would require operator action (such as high wheelspace temperatures; or high exhaust temperature spreads; or high AA temperature, etc.). So, operators could only get practice with starting and stopping, and see some parameters change value. It was little more than interesting.

GE also sold some entire Mark V turbine control panels which were supplied with the same "simulation" software--to simulate speed and temperatures and pressures, but with no ability to initiate problems that required operator interaction and tested their knowledge of systems and alarm response/management.

So, if you could find someone who has a Mark V Suitcase Trainer, that might be a portable option, and not too expensive. A SIMPLEX Mark V turbine control panel would be the next best option. But, you also need the simulation part of the software to be able to start/stop/change load, etc. If you had that, you could then write logic to use another HMI connected to the panel (two HMIs) to initiate turbine/system issues to test operator response and use as effective operator training.

A Mark V Suitcase Trainer isn't going to be very useful for teaching people about hardware and changing cards and such. A SIMPLEX Mark V would be most useful for that. I have used potentiometers to simulate LVDT feedback and had ideas for getting a servo-driven pot set-up to use to train on AutoCalibration.

I don't know of a PC software-based simulator for Mark V, such as is available for the Mark VI. Mark VI software-based simulators are few and far between, and I believe require a special UPD (USB Protective Device--dongle) to be able to use.

I wish you good luck in your endeavour! Write back to let us know how you fare!

We purchased a MK-5 hardware simulator, Mk-5 in a suitcase, from TTS 2 years ago. A <C> core and an <R> core. Functions identically to the old GE suitcase simulators. TTS did a good job of constructing it. We have used it quite a lot and it is a very good training/testing tool.

P
Turbine Technology Services (TTS) in Orlando Florida can provide a fully operational Mark V suitcase trainer. If you do not hear from TTS directly in response to your post, you can reach them via their website at www.turbinetech.com or by e-mail at [email protected].

TTS originally built these Mark V suitcase simulators to fully functionally test their own TMOS HMI upgrade system using actual customer PROMS before shipment to the customer site so these simulators are fully tested and proven.