MarkV Flame Detectors' UV torch

I

IC_ENGR

Please advise us from where we can get the UV Torch for the checking of Honeywell Flame detectors installed at Gas Turbines.

Can you describe what kind of checking you want to do on the Honeywell flame detectors?

Is it just a "go-no go" test? Do you just want to see if the flame detector can detect the presence of flame? Usually, any diffusion flame will do, though the stronger the better. In dim ambient light, this author has used a BIC butane cigarette lighter; brighter ambients required something more like a propane torch.

But that's just for a simple check to see if they're working. If you want to see if the output is appropriate for a particular flame intensity, you will need MUCH more than that--something that is calibrated and a chart to interpret the output of the sensor.

If your turbine has valves between the flame sensor and the combustion can (as many older, conventional (i.e., non-DLN) combustor-equipped units do), you can just close the valve while the unit is running and if the flame indication is lost for that sensor, then it's working. But only do this with one sensor at a time, and only if the other sensor(s) are working.!.!.!

Perhaps someone knows of a calibrated "torch" which can be used to check the output of a Honeywell flame detector (which this author believes is a Geiger-Muller style sensor)? Or, have you tried searching the Internet and eBay for something like this? This author has learned that the item you are looking for might not be on eBay today, or tomorrow, or even next week--but eventually many "unusual" and uncharacteristic items do appear on eBay.

If you can be more specific about the type of testing you want to perform and why (unusual number of flame detector failures, etc.), perhaps we can be of more help....

markvguy

On every shutdown as a preventive measure, we clean the flame detectors and then check them in field by showing the match flame and conform on the <I>. Naked match flame in the area is unsafe considering the fire hazard therefore a lot of preparation is required in this regard.
I require such type of UV source (torch/lamp) which can be used hazardous area.

Regards,
IC_ENGR

H
I have an Arcnet card which is running on Mark V system using the IDP software. My Arcnet card works with all Mark V systems. I have replaced the com90c198 controller. For more pls write me at [email protected]

How have you qualified your ARCnet card for use with Mark V Speedtronic turbine control panels?

What kind of testing can you offer?

What kind of guarantee can you offer about the suitability of your ARCnet card for operating multi-million dollar power plants?

What kind of waranty does your ARCnet card come with?

How many do you have for sale?

What does offering an ARCnet card have to do with Honeywell flame detector testing methods?

markvguy

Markvguy:

Have you noticed that the failure of arcnet card use with HMI is more often than that with <I>?
Do you think the more data collected by HMI is a over burden for the arcnet card?

Have not had this experience; in general, all the ARCnet cards seem to be fairly reliable.

Certainly, GE Mark V HMIs ask for a LOT more data than <I>s, but it should be noted that--with the exception of early GE Mark V HMIs which used ISA-bus ARCnet cards--most use PCI-bus ARCnet cards. The PCI bus has much more bandwidth and operates at a higher speed than the ISA bus.

In the case of PCI-bus ARCnet cards for GE Mark V HMIs, they don't have to be purchased from GE. They can be purchased directly from Contemporary Controls (www.arccontrol.com). (This is for the PCI versions; it is not believed that ISA versions are available.) The Contemporary Controls ARCnet cards have generally--in this author's experience--been very reliable.

Of the two ARCnet card failures this author has experienced (the first was on an <I> and the second was on a GE Mark V HMI), one was because of a lightning strike at the site which damaged other equipment as well, and the second was attributed to incorrect coaxial cable and connectors.

Early GE Mark V HMIs were supplied with a second white coaxial cable, which was intended for a 10-Base2 Ethernet LAN (which was never provided--that's right, they didn't use coaxial Ethernet but provided a white, thin, Ethernet cable, tee connector, and 50-ohm termination resistors!). These cables and connectors would "appear" to work for a while, and then all manner of unusual problems would slowly start to appear.

Another problem which has been linked to ARCnet card problems and StageLink problems is when coaxial cable provided by a contractor was used, and BNC (British Naval Connector) connectors were crimped, or sometimes twisted, on to the cable. Quite often, the cable was not the correct cable per the Mk V Maint. Manual, GEH-6195, and very often the crimps and twist-on connectors were poorly installed. The copper wire in the coaxial cable has been found not be the proper length and not crimped in the BNC connector pin or not making proper contact with the BNC connector pin. Also, the shield of the coaxial cable is to be crimped under the outer portion of the metal connector, or under the twist-on portion of the connector. Shield termination is very important, especially in industrial applications.

There are ARCnet-specific BNC tee connectors and 90-ohm termination resistors available from several vendors--usually only by special order (www.blackbox.com is one). There are also Ethernet-specific BNC tee connectors and termination resistors which are much more widely available--and should NOT be used on ARCnet-style LANs, as they can and have caused intermittent problems.

It is noted that your experience has been that GE Mark V HMIs experience a higher ARCnet card failure rate than <I>s. It would be nice if we could attribute that to a particular cause or causes. If others have similar experiences, it would be nice if they added them to an ARCnet-specific thread (not one related to torches and UV-flame detectors...).

markvguy

H
Dear Sir
we have purchased the Arcnet Cards from CC Control and configured in my one client Mark V System, just one year back and still i have not received any complaint from the client.
hira

Mr. Hira Singh,

GE has been supplying PCI-bus ARCnet cards from Contemporary Controls (http://www.arccontrol.com) with GE Mark V HMIs for some time. After just checking Contemporary Controls website, it appears they may now be offering ISA-bus ARCnet cards which might be compatible with IDOS.

Your posts are extremely cryptic. Are you implying you have developed a replacement ISA-bus ARCnet card which can be used with GE Mark V <I> operator interfaces?

Are you re-selling a Contemporary Controls ISA-bus ARCnet card for use with GE Mark V <I> operator interfaces?

To this author's knowledge, GE has not tested and certified any ISA-bus ARCnet cards for use with <I> operator interfaces. (That may be because they are "promoting" the GE Mark V HMI--which has many advantages, and almost as many disadvantages.)

But all of your many posts are very unclear. How about posting exactly what you're promoting.

AND, if you've successfully installed an ISA-bus ARCnet card in a GE Mark V <I> operator interface from and commercially available source, can you provide that information as well? Even if you want to say, "My firm is offering a commercially available ISA-bus ARCnet card suitable for replacing those currently used in GE Mark V <I> operator interfaces?"

Clarity and information are important to promoting a product (or service, if you're reselling something).

Your Company's website (http://www.indiamart.com/experttechnologies) was also visited, and there is no clear link to any ARCnet card....

markvguy