max cable length between Magelis and Modicon Micro plc

K

kjwudsph

Hi,
What is the maximum cable length between an XBT Magelis and a TSX Modicon Micro

Thanks

> What is the maximum cable length between an XBT Magelis and a TSX Modicon Micro

What coms protocol are you using?

>> What is the maximum cable length between an XBT Magelis and a TSX Modicon Micro

> What coms protocol are you using

I've no idea, both PLC and Magelis are running on protected memory cards, so the programs are not accessible - I assume its Unitelway

I have to move the Magelis 60 mtrs from the Modicon Micro and when I tried it there was no communications

Do I have to buy some kind of booster to get this distance?

I'm a newbie to plc's and working in darkest Africa where things are not available

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

B
Protocol is the language. The distance depends not upon the language but the PHYSICAL layer. Is it RS232, RS485 or Ethernet? Each has its own limitations. With good cable, grounding and shields, you can likely get 60 meters with both RS232 and RS485.

Cable quality has a great impact on distance.

There were 2 Modicon processors referenced as "micro". One was the Telemecanique TSX 37 Micro and the other was a "shoebox style" Modicon Micro (3xx,5xx,6xx?). For the Modicon Micro protocol is likely Modbus RS232 serial, for the TSX 37 it is likely Unitelway which is a RS485 type of signal.

Unitelway, with good cables and termination is good for 1000 meters.

RS232, with poor quality cable may max out under 30 meters.

For long runs of RS485, a termination resistor may be necessary. Go to B&B Electronics and review their excellent documentation on serial networks.

If you move them back closer together and they work, then use a 60 meter length of cable at that location (roll it up) and check the comms without having to run back and forth. A basic question, but often true, if a connector was removed to pull the cable, was it properly re-installed?

Again this is not enough info.

On what ports are the cable plugged into on the Magelis and the plc?
What type off connectors are used?

This should give a better indication of what protocol is used