MAX1000 Upgrade Issues

D

Denis Hill

Three combined cycle power plants running MAX1000 DCS. In a perfect world where hardware never fails I have no problems, but as that doesn't exist I've got issues with aging hardware.

The biggest issues are the AP (application processor) which currently is running a long ago out dated version of Interactive Unix, RTPs (realtime processors) running DOS and a Historical Server running Windows 95a and an outdated historical server package.

I'd love to upgrade to the MAX1000+ Plus, however, with our current owners we're lucky to get toilet paper. That upgrade path ain't gonna happen. I've upgraded all my GPs (Graphic Processors) from Windows 95 to 98, something we were told wouldn't work - it does work and those legacy units aren't an issue anymore.

So, in the interest of saving some money, does anyone know if I can get my APs to run on a more current version of unix? Little or no help can be had from the OEM.

Thanks in advance.

Denis

C

Curt Wuollet

You might see if the Interactive Unix will run on more recent hardware as a compromise. And if the DOS parts will run on FreeDos. IU was a very good, stable, UNIX for PCs. I'll bet a day of searching would find some users with similar problems and how they solved them. One of the more problematic issues will be finding drivers for modern hardware.

I kept a IU based GE Cimplicity system running long after they mandated a switch to a nasty, unstable NT replacement. The UI version would run for a year at a stretch between takedowns for cleaning, etc. This was about a year longer than the replacement, which crashed during the demo. I might be able to help with some issues.

Regards
cww

Thanks for the help. I think I'm just going to let things fail to force the issue with management. Band-aids are only temporary anyway. MAX DNA would be a great upgrade, that would put an end to the AP and RTPs as well as the historical server.

Denis

We went the same way as we couldn't go any further then the E3 upgrade so upgraded to MAXDNA, it was worthwhile as it has become more user friendly.We left the DPU's and I/O as is, but be aware that even if it enhances the look of your system, you don't gain anything of value of data transfer.The use of the maxstorian cannot be used as stated by sales as if you try to take too much 1 second data your token rates will drop to about 8. I built all the hardware myself and only paid for their software which made the project a lot cheaper. If you want any further info please contact me.

I have spent the last three and half year working as a field engineer for L&N MAX (now Metso) up until recently (past few months) when I took a local job to reduce travel. I have performed a couple of upgrades on your particular type of system. Using the MaxDNA migration, your RTP would become a DBM PC (which can be used to trend) which is pretty close to the same thing you currently have. An engineering station would replace your AP (requiring that the your current AP configuration be converted - this generally takes one to two weeks). You would install Operator Stations on which you would need to create graphics (this is the bulk of the work). All PCs are standard off the shelf except for the DBM which requires Highway Interface Cards. The software would need to be purchased for each station (which is dongle protected). A DBM, Engineering Station, and operators stations can run with the existing system, making it possible to migrate in steps (a minimum of a DBM and Engineering Station would be required). At least two Ethernet Switches are need for interconnections betweeen DBM, Engineering Station and Operator Stations. All other existing hardware DPUs and I/O should stay the same.

I can personally vouch for the reliability of the upgraded hardware and software. I personally migrated a system that had 13 DPU pairs that went off without a hitch.

Hope this is helpful,
Gates

I have spent the last three and half year working as a field engineer for L&N MAX (now Metso) up until recently (past few months) when I took a local job to reduce travel. I have performed a couple of upgrades on your particular type of system. Using the MaxDNA migration, your RTP would become a DBM PC (which can be used to trend) which is pretty close to the same thing you currently have. An engineering station would replace your AP (requiring that the your current AP configuration be converted - this generally takes one to two weeks). You would install Operator Stations on which you would need to create graphics (this is the bulk of the work). All PCs are standard off the shelf except for the DBM which requires Highway Interface Cards. The software would need to be purchased for each station (which is dongle protected). A DBM, Engineering Station, and operators stations can run with the existing system, making it possible to migrate in steps (a minimum of a DBM and Engineering Station would be required). At least two Ethernet Switches are need for interconnections betweeen DBM, Engineering Station and Operator Stations. All other existing hardware DPUs and I/O should stay the same.

I can personally vouch for the reliability of the upgraded hardware and software. I personally migrated a system that had 13 DPU pairs that went off without a hitch.

Hope this is helpful,
Gates
Hello sir! Recently our maxDNA 4.5 MOPER_1 pc is damaged but the harddisk is okay, when we connect harddisk to new pc cpu it stops at metso maxstation startup a dialog pop written "application stop responding". I appreciate your help.