Measuring gas flow

M

MehdiS

I need to setup 5 flow meters to measure gas flows between 0-3 L/min. I will be using labview to collect the data, but don’t know where to look for the flow meter or the transmitter. It can put out either low volts (0-10) or mA.

Thanks
Mehdi

A
Schneider offers a gas flow measurement loadable function block that runs on Modicon Compact controllers. The function block essintially turns the PLC into a flow computer. You can handle up to eight meters in the PLC. Labview can communicate to the PLC with Modbus or Modbus PLUS to collect your data. The loadable calculats per the AGA standards and meets all the API requirements for metering and custody transfer.

You can use standard 4-20mA pressure and temperature transmitters to pick up the P, DP, and T and use a standard Compact analog input card.

You can look at the user manual for the loadable on www.modicon.com, go to the support library and:
PRODUCT MANUALS --> PLC & I/O --> COMPACT

J

Jocko Harmet

Mehdi,
Omega Engineering (www.omega.com)is a good source for both components. If you are going to run the signal any distance, you should stick with a current signal.

Jocko Harmet
TAMTECH, Inc.
[email protected]

R
Hi,

Please go to website: www.emersonprocess.com, and look at Rosemount Flow Division.

If you need more details in sizing/quotation for these flowmeters, please send me your inquiry via above email.

Good luck!
Richard.

For multiple gas flow measurments best use is Fisher ROC 364 RTU with MVS - cheap and reliable.
Supplier in Canada is Spartan Control Inc.

Low gas flow measurements are difficult with conventional orifice plate / DP transmitters.You could think of thermal mass flow meters (one of the manufacturers is Kurz and there are others also).

J
Or you could consider transmitting Variable area flow meters.... try Rotameters at www.solartron.com. Rotameter has become something of a generic term and so a web search using "Rotameter" or "VA" meters should turn up numerous manufacturers and distributors.
Alternatively try "thermal mass flow meters"