Measuring liquid level in extreme cold

G

Gary

I'm looking for a liquid level device for a fuel tank and can take -60 deg. Any ideas ?

Hello;

In anycase it's going to be expensive...
However the method will of course depend on what
exactly you're measuring. I will assume what ever you're measuring at this point is at least a liquid or solid, therefore you have several alternatives. Laser/optical or contact(proximity, bubble) ...
If the fuel tank maintains reasonable verticality and the fuel is the same, then you may be able to
shoot a low power laser, infrared light from the bottom and measure the light at the top or shoot into the fuel from the top and then measure the intensity of the reflected light.
Or you can buy of make a strip embedded with prox or contact sensors and a microcontroller to do the calculations. By far, the cheapest method and probably the easiest and most accurate will be to mount your fuel tank on top of a digital weight scale... Since we will know the empty weight of the tank, and the density of the fuel, we can then deduce how much fuel either by weight or volume is in the tank.

Good luck
Wally
Akumeka Technology
http://www.akumeka.com

> I'm looking for a liquid level device for a fuel tank and can take -60 deg. Any ideas ?