Measuring voltage on moving part

• Thread starter Bobrowski, Greg
  • Start date
B

Bobrowski, Greg

Gentlemen:

I need to measure a voltage on erratically moving part. This is for testing multiple instances, that is it is not for a permanent installation, can not be more than 300grams. My theoretical candidate solution is a small voltmeter with integrated RF transmitter and compatible receiver with connection to PC for data logging. Have any of you heard of a ready product to handle that?
Do you see some alternative technology to suggest?

Greg

Greg Bobrowski
Software Integrator
Phone: (905)331-6338x275
Fax: (905)331-6339
Internet: [email protected]

Computer Integrated Manufacturing Technologies
CIMTEK Automation Systems
5328 John Lucas Drive
Burlington, Ontario
Canada L7L 6A6

ISO 9001 REGISTERED http://www.cimtek.com

W
Offhand, I don't know of any readymade solution to this, but you ought to call Jim Steffey at Data-Linc and see what he knows... he may have something or be able to find you something. Data-linc is found at http://www.data-linc.com.

Walt Boyes

---------------------------------------------
Walt Boyes -- MarketingPractice Consultants
[email protected]
21118 SE 278th Place - Maple Valley, WA 98038
253-709-5046 cell 425-432-8262 home office
fax:801-749-7142

J

Johan Bengtsson

Well, just go.

I suppose, since you suggest radio, that a cable is completely out of the question.

Is it possible to use IR (ie nothing blocking free sight)?
Is the environment electomagnetically noisy (ie easily disturb radio signals)?
What distance do you need to cover?
What accuracy and update speed do you need?
Do you have a power source availiable at the measuring point, or do you have to run it from batteries?
If you need batteries, how long time is a test time (ie will the batteries last long enough)?
Do you have any size restriction as well as weight?
Are you looking for something off the shelf or do you want ideas about half made solutions and build something from that?

If you have moderately low requests about accuracy and speed and don't necesarily need something off-the shelf it would be quite easy to brew something up using a pair of microchip PIC (or similar) and any pre-built remote control unit covering the distance needed.

I don't know of any off the shelf product, others on the list might however....

/Johan Bengtsson

----------------------------------------
P&L, Innovation in training
Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN
Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.pol.se/
----------------------------------------

You can use a Data Record. For instance telog Instrument (phone 716-359-1110). They have a model with interval length can be as long as 8 hours.
Juan

G

Greg Bobrowski

Thank you for suggestions. I am definitelly looking for off-shelf solution. Most likely the optimal solution will be without connector. Connectors change depending on object under test and I would like to attach the radio-DVM to connector I need to use ( that implies radio-DVM should have dimmensions in single cm). I am interested in using it whenever I could eliminate cable connection from high volume operator-assisted tester. Sure, the accuracy must be within specs at hand and they change from measuring point to measuring point. I target replacement for low accuracy measurement, let say 2% and more. I am not convinced if IR is not an option, may be it is as good as radio. The only argument I would have to support radio is that it works in wider angle if not arround - and it matters to have a flexibility in geometrical arrangements. We can say that the distance to cover is 1 to 4 meters. Power is available from unit under test. Update negotiable 1 .. 10 times per second - object of compromises and further engineering.

C

Curt Wuollet

Hmmm.....

Sounds like a great application for a camera with the right software. I don't know if it's available off the shelf. I would use a Linux box
a camera and V4L. About $1k, Do a contrast seperation, count pixels and put a threshold on the area. That still leaves the issue of if you want to spray for just one part or only when the belt is X% full. I assume that has already been decided. This approach would have the advantage of working from long distance and being temperature independent.

Regards

cww