Melsec Medoc plus and windows NT

B

Bart Lenting

Recently we got new PCs, but these are not able to establish communication with the PLC (Mitsubishi Melsec A series, A1S) via Melsec Medoc plus version 2.3. The computer (a compaq deskpro, pentium III, 733 MHz) is running Windows NT version 4.0 with Service Pack 6.
Melsec Medoc plus gives the error that it can't find the PLC or that the wrong PLC type is selected (the latter is not true).
Does anybody know what the problem is?

D
Maybe, I have had similar problems with old communication software and new computers. The software does not function properly with the faster hardware. I have had to keep old 486 pc's around just to run old software. I do have extensive experience with Mitsu. PLC and the A1S. My recomendation to stay away from MEDOC software (DOS or Windows). If possible use GPP-Win. The software will automatically identify the PLC type that it is connected to and you do not need to open a project prior to editing a ladder. One thing I have found is that some A2S PLC's will be identified as A3U's. The board used is apparently an A3U in a A2S case. The symptoms were similar to what you described. Also there were so many bugs in the first Windows version of MEDOC that it had to be pulled from the market. I haven't used it since. I have found only one bug in the GPP-Win software and it is related to AD75 buffer memory commands. It is a little tough getting used to the way the comments are written into the comment files with GPP-win(different files for local and global I/O)but it is much easier than trying to write comments with MEDOC.

> Recently we got new PCs, but these are not able to establish communication
> with the PLC (Mitsubishi Melsec A series, A1S) via Melsec Medoc plus
> version 2.3. The computer (a compaq deskpro, pentium III, 733 MHz) is
> running Windows NT version 4.0 with Service Pack 6.
> Melsec Medoc plus gives the error that it can't find the PLC or that the
> wrong PLC type is selected (the latter is not true).
> Does anybody know what the problem is?

It seems like >50%+ of the time that someone says they are having communications problems with a serial port it is on a Compaq machine.

Have you verified that you can communicate with any other devices via the communications port?

Do you have any other software running that might grab hold of the communications port on boot up? There are PLC software packages that are known to this. So if you have multiple PLC programming packages installed you might want to check that out as a possible cause of the problem.

Dale Ross
Mitsubishi Electric Automation

Dialup BBS +1.704.588.2669
http://HarborWebs.com:8080/ telnet://HarborWebs.com

"These are my opinions and not necessarily those of Mitsubishi Electric Automation"

> I haven't used it since. I have found only one
> bug in theGPP-Win software and it is related to AD75 buffer memory
> commands.

If you can explain your problem I will try to help you.

Dale Ross
Mitsubishi Electric Automation

Dialup BBS +1.704.588.2669
http://HarborWebs.com:8080/ telnet://HarborWebs.com

"These are my opinions and not necessarily those of Mitsubishi Electric Automation"