Metal Sensor (Steel inside Copper )

G

ganesh

I have a bullet made-up of steel with copper coating. I want to scan the bullet and check whether the steel is present inside the copper coating or not . Please suggest me the sensors. Regards, Ganesh

J

Johan Bengtsson

Well, some suggestions: 1. You could try to attach it to a magnet and see if it falls of or not 2. You could try to weigh them (to get the average density) 3. I suppose there are some kinds of utrasonic sensors that could check this What would you like to do actually? - check if there is steel present? - a certain minimum/maximum amount? - check the shape of the steel? - check the thickness of the coating? /Johan Bengtsson ---------------------------------------- P&L, Innovation in training Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833 E-mail: [email protected] Internet: http://www.pol.se/ ----------------------------------------

J

John G. Boland

A couple of ideas, Ganesh... Drop the bullets, as they are produced and conveyed, through a deflecting magnetic field. Steel-deficient bullets should not deflect into the "good bullet" output path. Coin-operated machines might give you some ideas. Alternatively, pick the steel bullets up off a delivery conveyor belt with a cross-conveyor that "wipes" across the lower face of a magnet. The magnet will hold the steel bullets to the cross-conveyor until they clear the delivery conveyor, then they will drop off onto another conveyor and continue on. Steel-deficient bullets will continue down the original delivery conveyor, to be rejected. Adjust the magnetic field and geometry to reject a small fraction of "good" steel bullets, to assure the quality of the main output. Perform quality assurance tests on only those bullets that do not deflect enough, which (hopefully) will be only a small percentage of the total. Regards, John G. Boland, president VisiBit Corporation www.visibit.com One Parker Square Suite 408 2525 Kell Boulevard Wichita Falls, Texas 76308 940.322.9922 940.723.1478 fax

C

Curt Wuollet

I would expect the most ordinary garden variety magnetic proximity sensor could be used for this if you have copper/lead vs copper coated steel/lead core bullets. It might get more challanging if you have mild steel cores. Even in the latter case, a distance could be found where the steel jacket would trip the switch and the copper jacket would not. A suitable prox sensor could be had from Jameco at www.jameco.com for about $13.00 Regards cww