Mezzanine stairway

M

Michael Griffin

This isn't exactly an electrical or software question, but I thought that someone here could answer this question. I have seen control cabinet
mezzanines which have a special type of stairway intended to minimise space. The last application I saw this in was in a mezzanine which was used to hold the control cabinets over top of a robot line. The configuration was as follows.

A third stringer runs down the middle of the stairway. Each tread extends only half way across the stair to terminate on this middle stringer. These "half treads" were offset so that it was like every other "half tread" was missing on each side. This meant that the stair could be made very steep without getting your foot caught on the next tread (since it wouldn't be there).

To walk up the stair you had to start off on the proper foot according to how the stair was constructed, but it was very easy to climb (even when hauling arm loads of paraphanalia with you). It consumed less floor space than a conventional stair, but was easier and safer to climb than a ladder.

I remember being told this stairway was patented, but I don't remember who made it and the plant where I saw it is now closed. Does anyone know anything about this special stairway? I was told it is intended for the sort of application I have mentioned above (mezzanines above large machines). A web search has not been very productive.

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]

M
Michael,

This is a traditional yankee design for a stairway. I first saw it in an old carpentry book and built one in my garage. Quite a few people have trouble figuring out which foot to start with when climbing or descending, on descending this can be dangerous. Maybe I have klutzy friends.

Based on the antiquity of this design I doubt that it's patented. Most any fab shop could build one to your specification.

Mark Erdle

J

James Bouchard

I have seen this advertised in magazines like Plant Engineering and Plant Services but I do not have a copy handy to check for the manufacturer.

James Bouchard

M

Michael Griffin

I had several off list replies to this subject, and I would like to thank the people who gave me help on this (particularly the name of the
stair). I found the web site for this stair and it is:

http://www.Lapeyrestair.com/

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]