micro motion meter installation and uses

• Thread starter knugod.khartoum
  • Start date
K

knugod.khartoum

Hi
We have faced several problems relating to micro motion mater installation, I would like to ask if these devices are suitable to work at well site.

Our well produced some gases and sand with oil and that will effect directly on readings. Can any one give me information to solve this problem?

We use these devices to know water cut.

Thanks and regards

R

Rune Sørhus

An oil company in Norway did a test on the Micromotion Elite series some years ago, and found that these could handle only up to 2-3% of gas in a liquid flow. Above that, they became very unstable, or didn't measure at all.

I have also experience with using the Micromotion gas coriolis meter, which is really good at measuring dry gas. But the same is valid here: If one get a small amount of liquid, one cannot trust the readings anymore. We used this in the gas leg of a compact separator, using a multiphase meter on the liquid/gas leg. The separator used in a high gas well application, and was knocking most of the gas out of the well stream before measuring the rest through the multiphase meter.

> We use these devices to know water cut.

A company that could provide you with watercut meters and multiphase meters, even with integrated sand monitors, is "www.roxar.com":http://www.roxar.com .

K

knugod.khartoum

thanks for reply
so can i use micro motion meter as test separator
to know water content?

The fluid needs to be homogenous. Vibrating tube meters measure the resonant frequency. Fine evenly dispersed bubbles are OK if the resultant density error is acceptable. Random larger bubbles are not.

Is it density you are after?

Vince

Hi,

You could contact Mr. K.T. Liu, Micro Motion consultant at 1-310-926-1653. He has a patent for Accuflow(R), an oil /gas horizontal pipe separation base on MicroMotion flowmeters. You need to separate gas from oil before water cut measuring, a method based on density strictly.

Regards,

Hung Lam
http://www.thongphat.com

You need to do proper separation before you use a coriolis meter otherwise you will be wasting your time. There are tons of people who make these and they work reasonably well if you have the time and the money. Some of the companies are Agar,Progauge,AWT .

If you want to measure continous sand,water,oil and gas (multiphase meter), the only company I have seen do this succesfully is Roxar Flow Measurement. Most of the other companies making these have no working references and alot of failures on trial

Two years ago I tested a Rosemount Elite 3" meter on the U.K. National Engineering Laboratory multiphase flow rig. The intent of this test was to determine how much gas you could put through a coriolis meter prior to it failing. The reason for out test was that we had installed ultrasonic meters on the oil outlet of a test separator located on an FPSO. The static head was only 2 metres. We knew from past experience that the ultrasonic meter would fail if it saw more than 0.5% gas by volume (GVF) and we expected significant gas carry under due to the vessel motion. We did not have the time or room to fit pumps. From my past experience on developing coriolis meters I knew that if the fluid was homogonised the meter should continue to work. However, if the gas came out of solution then it would interfer with the coupling of the vibrating tube and the fluid and the meter would fail. The testing at NEL proved that if we kept the fluid in homogonised then the meter worked. In reality this means that the fluid velocity through the coriolis small tubes had to exceed 1m/s for 1% gas volume and 6m/s for 10% gas. These tube velocitys are low as we wanted to ensure that the additional pressure loss across the coriolis meter did cause further gas break out.

The mass accuracy was not affected when the fluid was homogonised. The density reading also was correct however, cruicially for yourself, the density reading is now the density of the gas and liquid. Small amounts of gas significantly reduce the fluid density. This means you will not be able to use it for water cut determinitation. You have three densitys water, oil and gas and only one measurement. You need at least two measurements to determine water cut in three phase flow. Sorry!

Sand: Due to the thin wall tube and high fluid velocitys through the tube (typically 30m/s!) coriolis meters cannot withstand sand. They could fail causing loss of containment.

I hope this helps. There are a lot of multiphase meters out there if you want to try them. The one I have had most success with is the Framo Vx.

S
Foxboro has a new mass meter and transmitter that handles two phase flow and never shuts down. Call me to discuss 508-549-6029