MicroLogix 1500/DF1 to Ethernet

M

Manny Romero

The idea was to be able to have the PLC in a remote part of the plant and using the Serial to Ethernet converter connect it to the customers LAN. On the PC we will be running either RSLogix or Wonderware I/O server along with Moxa REALCom software which creates a new virtual Comm Port.
We would like to know what are the optimal settings for interfacing with DF1 in this mode. eg Full Duplex, RTS/CTS on or off? Speed etc etc
Any feedback welcome.

Manny Romero
Paqworks IDC Pty Ltd
Sydney Australia

C

Chris Sheard

Hi

you need to set the DF1 settings as configured in the PLC. Depending on the IP/serial box, you can probably do an auto config from RSLinx in the DF1 driver setup.
If you are using the Wonderware drivers, manually configure the settings the same as in RSlinx. You can't run the linx and wonderware drivers at the same time, so if you need HMI and programming concurrently, setup linx as the DDE server for Wonderware.

As a suggestion, a AB Net-ENI DF1-IP convertor might be a better idea as it also offers connectivity to other controllers/PC's on the lan instead of the one way tunnel to the virtual com port.

Cheers

Manny,

You may save yourself time and a headache if you use Allen Bradley's 1761-NET-ENI I've used these several times. They are easy to set up and I think the last one I bought was about $800 AU. Triflex Or Freeon Electrical should be able to help you. There is also a small utility setup program downloadable from Allen Bradley web site (free) to set up the comms configuration.

Again the Comms from the Micro will need to be DF1.
Hope this helps.

Steve
Tip Top Bakeries
Sydney Australia

J

Jeremy Pollard