Microwave Data Systems' MDS 9810 radio - how reliable?

P

Peter Bubik

We are looking at using Microwave Data Systems' MDS 9810 as a crutial part of our control system.
We need something really reliable - do you have any experience with these?

They claim they have minimum throughput of 19.2kbps in Line-of-Sight - can I trust it?

They also claim that for most scenarios no configuration is needed - is that true?

What are some of the problems you may have had with the radios, techsupport or suppliers?

Any comments appreciated

Peter

G

Greg Morningstar

We're not using the 9810 model, but we are using the MDS iNET 900 Ethernet Radio which I understand uses the same radio platform. We have had very good luck with them in remote SCADA applictions for drinking water. The iNET is a relatively new product, and we had some issues at startup that were addressed and solved immediately. I don't know about setup on the 9810, but it is very straightforward on the iNET 900. MDS was recommended to us as a supplier by other water utilities who have used the 9810 for years and are very satisfied.

G

G. Fulkerson

I've installed 9810s for municipalities (water and wastewater) and had no problems with them if they work out of the box. A couple of manufacturing problems once but imediatly replaced no questions or problems. There is a minimal setup, but nothing taxing. As always watch your parameters ( line of site, weather, quality of install). They are dependable and solid, I recomend them and trust them, but I question any radio for "crutial" data. Good luck.

G

G. Fulkerson

Clarification: I question any SINGLE radio for critical data. Always have a backup. I have installed redundant systems that have been bulletproof.

M

M. Harisman - Integra Teknik

In terms of speed/throughput and 'no configuration' features, most of the current Spread Spectrum Data Radio on that frequency has it. So, those statements shall be true.

In terms of hardware reliability, it shall be working as other electronics equipment, in accordance with the specified environment condition. We have installed several type of MDS Radio, and most of it has no problem after run 1 - 3 years.

In terms of Technical Support, usually you could get a remote Technical Support directly from their HQ (via telephone or e-mail). However, you need to investigate further for capable Local Technical Support, as this really depend on where you are.

M. Harisman
harisman(AT)integrateknik.com

> We're not using the 9810 model, but we are using the MDS iNET 900 Ethernet Radio which I understand uses the same radio platform. We have had very good luck with them in remote SCADA applictions for drinking water. The iNET is a relatively new product, and we had some issues at startup that were addressed and solved immediately. I don't know about setup on the 9810, but it is very straightforward on the iNET 900. MDS was recommended to us as a supplier by other water utilities who have used the 9810 for years and are very satisfied.

How many I/O and RTU's is that water utilities? I have an application now and I am trying to have some information about communication by radio using Modbus as protocol. Do you have any experience? Pls reply by mail: [email protected]

T

Tom Bruscino

Twin eagle is a full service partner for MDS, I suggest you take a look at the TranNet 900 radio from MDS. It has many new features and is an excellent radio.