Mitsubishi Fx3U-16M

R

Rheinhardt

Hi Gents,

I currently have the FX3U-16M and the Melsoft GX Developer software. I have a couple of questions?

1.Can one do function block and sub-routines in the PLC with this software?

2. Can GX Developer IEC be used?

3. Will the PLC be able to handle sub routines?

I intend also having a TCP/IP connection to a PC and two RS232 devices. There is alot of data handling and sub routines would be a requirement.

Any advice or inset will help!!

Rheinhardt

> 1.Can one do function block and sub-routines in the PLC with this software?

> 2. Can GX Developer IEC be used?

Use GXIEC developer. Subroutines are available with this PLC although online functions are limited. GXIEC is the best thing since sliced bread once you get used to it. It is very similar to Siemens S7 and RSLogix5000 to use.

Les Jones

I second what Les has to say for the most part, but I would say that you should get GX works2 software. It is basically the next version of IEC developer with the configuration software built-in (as opposed to the alternate software they had before). I use it for the Q series processors, but the programming environment is the same for the FX series (Except it only supports FX instructions of course). In some ways I like the IEC Developer better but this new software is the future and is well supported.

The function blocks in the software have their caveats. "If" statements in Structured Text (ST) seem to consume a jump label always (and there are only something like 250-300 of them on a Q series processor). They also let you have multiple instances of a function block even when it uses a fixed resource like a timer (So you have to be careful not to use a single instantiation twice when it has timers in it!). Some function blocks I have won't compile right unless I declare them as "Macro" types which is basically inline coding as opposed to jumping to a subroutine. Just be sure to test and don't be afraid to look at the compiled instruction list output of your FB if something is going wrong.

Ken