ML1400 to Kinetix3 programming

N

Nick

I am new to modbus programming with RSLogix and would like some help on what instructions to use and where the input will come from... i.e. registers or files. I am trying to fully control a TLY-A230P-BJ64AA servo motor with a MicroLogix 1400 thrue a 2071-AP4 Kinetix 3 servo drive. I have all the info I could possibly need for the Modbus RTU protocol on the drive end, but have never programmed modbus controls within RSLogix 500 logic. What instructions do I use? (I'm assuming the MSG read/write command) and what or how do I use the files to send the commands? Examples from existing ladder programs would be helpful, due to the fact that I learn a lot easier thru example than explanation.

Thanks!

N

Nicholas Carnes

I have figured out modbus rtu... somewhat. And I have the motor moving. It homes perfectly but I'm am having issues with it beyond that. I am running it in 'INDEXING' mode. I have the commands and bits set up right. the indexing parameters are being set up by the keypad on the drive... for now.

The issues I am having is that the motor/drive seems to run wherever it wants. For examples:

1)I set index position parameters for IND 4.00 - 4.05 identically. I am running it in absolute positioning. But when I select by bit toggle each parameter and 'START INDEXING' the motor isn't doing what it should and remaining at that position.4.00 - 4.02 are the same. 4.03 - 4.04 are the same. 4.05 is way off in the opposite direction. again same position set point.

2) I tried just using 4.00 or 4.01 and change the parameter by hand between each call...'START INDEXING'. it runs to the specified location... I believe (still don't know how to set up the monitoring yet. I am reading the parameter but it is giving me weird values that don't match the drive set parameter)... the first run, but when I change the location parameter, it just dwells at the first location I set... even after the value of the parameter has been changed and called. ???????

3)Positive and negative values in the location parameters 4.xx seem to have no effect on the direction the motor turns. It seems to have a mind of it's own and turns either direction it wants to regardless of the polarity value given. Example: -5000 runs cw about 4 revolutions... -6000 will run ccw from the same starting point about 2 revolutions. It all seems to change with parameter selection and position values... and where the motor just happens to be at the time of the command.

This is not very reliable and extremely hard to control. I 'm not willing to put the axis together in fear of 'crashing' it. If anyone has experience with this drive, PLEASE chime in. Any input would be greatly appreciated and helpful!!!

Drive :A-B p/n 2071-AP4 motor: p/n TLY-A230P-BJ64AA Controller: ML1400 ser B

Thanks!!!