Mod Bus over Ethernet?

E

Ed

I have a customer that is looking at setting up a new plant network, replacing old magnetic controls with PLC controls and bringing all of that data back to the office network. I am looking at using automation direct products because of their relativly low cost as well as using browser based SCADA software from http://www.broadwin.com. Does anyone have any experiance with these products or perhaps another idea on just how to do this? Any comments would help. Thanks.

You could always use Modicon PLCs with the ethernet modules with built in webservers. They are really powerful and I have used them on many projects. Easy to set up, and all the web pages and tools are stored on the ethernet module, accessible to anyone on te network, and password protectable.

CK

If you are looking to do Modbus over Ethernet, then there is a good chance you will have to use a Modicon PLC. AutomationDirect does have Ethernet communication modules for their 205 and 405 series processors, but there is no mention in the manual of them being capable of Modbus TCP.

Modicon's Momentum line has some processors with built-in Ethernet, and they are fairly price-competitive for low I/O count applications.

P
basically all you need to do is replace the rpb's to the newer nhfs, then it should automatically re caliberate the system so the overload structure is alomst peaking after youve sorted that then you can hone the additional system requirements, hope this has been of some use.

G

Graham Lewis

Schneider have an ethernet to modbus bridge. It is cheaper than a web enabled module and is easy to configure. Part No 174CEV30010 Modbus / Modbus TCP IP

We use them to connect old PLCs to a network.
Also try DGI.com they have RS232 to ethernet converters but I have not tried teirs yet.

S

Scott Taylor

Depending on your data gathering requirements it is much easier to monitor and control devices using a PC and an Ethernet enabled control like Opto22. You can then use Visual Basic to write programs that will do much more than PLCs ever thought about.

Scott