modbus+ constant current source

• Thread starter Sébastien Léveillé
  • Start date
S

Sébastien Léveillé

I'm using for now a 2800 watts Xantrex current source which is able to provide 0 to 18 amp at a voltage of under 5 volts to heat special dispenser. This power supply is using a proprietary protocol over RS-232. I would prefer to use modbus+ since it is a more efficient way to communicate with my quantum modicon PLC.

M

Michael Griffin

At 09:44 10/05/01 -0400, S=E9bastien L=E9veill=E9 wrote: <clip> >Does anybody know if there is a manufacturer of an industrial constant >current source (0-15A) which can communicate modbus+? > >I'm using for now a 2800 watts Xantrex current source which is able to >provide 0 to 18 amp at a voltage of under 5 volts to heat special >dispenser. This power supply is using a proprietary protocol over RS-232. >I would prefer to use modbus+ since it is a more efficient way to >communicate with my quantum modicon PLC. <clip> Most power supplies of this type are considered "lab" supplies, and so use mainly GPIB plus sometimes a special RS-232 protocol. I've never seen one which uses any standard "industrial" protocols. We use a number of power supplies of this type (including Xantrex). However, we have always used analogue control when connecting to PLCs, and GPIB when connecting to PCs. You could use some sort of protocol converter, but it scarcely seems worth the effort. ********************** Michael Griffin London, Ont. Canada [email protected] **********************